How to not bandage too tight

sandi_84

Visit site
Ok some of you may know but for those who don't:

I have bandaged before but it's been about 10years ago since I've had to do it, my OH is going to help me practice as he knows what he's doing.

I bought some gamgee and fleece leg bandages (prefer these to elasticated ones as less chance of over tightening) and plan on some supervised practice before we move home - whenever that might be but sooner practiced to perfection the better really :)

I know that the bandage must be rolled rather than pulled round the leg, that when starting you should leave an end to fold down along the tendon, gamgee must be used to even out any pressure, the bandage must be applied without any creases or such that will create any pressure points and that ties should not be on the front or back (mine have velcro but still).

Anyway the long and short of it is that I still worry that I will end up putting them on too tight - I'm a massive worrier :rolleyes3:

Anyone have any good tips? Any indicators that a bandage is too tight (as it's been so long i've forgotten if there are any indicators)?

OH won't be able to come out to help me till the week after next so I can't do anything till then but I want to get any tips firmly in my mind before he comes for our first practice run :eek:

Tnavas

Visit site
It's hard to over tighten bandages that have no stretch so you can stop stressing there.

Generally as you roll up a stretchy bandage you stretch it a little as you roll so that you can just unroll it around the leg.

The direction of bandaging is important always bandage away from you over the tendons and towards you over the bone - so for the nearside bandage anti clockwise and for the off side bandage clockwise.

All the other points you have mentioned are correct - so happy bandaging.

I still remember my very first lesson at Pony Club on bandaging - I had to cycle to the venue and it was pouring with rain and I got lost! But have never forgotten the instructions.

sandi_84

Visit site
The direction of bandaging is important always bandage away from you over the tendons and towards you over the bone - so for the nearside bandage anti clockwise and for the off side bandage clockwise.

Ah I had no idea about that (or had just completely forgotten!) :)

Here's a silly question, can you bandage when the legs are a bit wet? My boy is field kept and I can dry him off as best I can with a towel but I doubt I'll get his legs completely dry if it's raining :/

PolarSkye

Visit site
Ah I had no idea about that (or had just completely forgotten!) :)

Here's a silly question, can you bandage when the legs are a bit wet? My boy is field kept and I can dry him off as best I can with a towel but I doubt I'll get his legs completely dry if it's raining :/

I bandage Kal's legs when they are a bit wet . . . if I had to wait until they were completely dry I'd be coming home at 10 p.m. in the winter ;). I do, though, make sure they are clean.

P

TandD

Visit site
As long as it is a stable bandage and there is little dirt on the legs bandaging when wet will not be a problem!

To check the tightness you make sure you can get 1 finger down the bandage and gamgee..... I also give a wobble up and down the leg and see if there is any movement.

You can't really over tighten stable bandages especially when you have gamgee under neath..... I expect it will be more of an issue getting them tight enough!!!

sandi_84

Visit site
I bandage Kal's legs when they are a bit wet . . . if I had to wait until they were completely dry I'd be coming home at 10 p.m. in the winter ;). I do, though, make sure they are clean.

P

Brilliant thanks :) Yes I'd definitely make sure they are clean first, I wouldn't want bits of yuck rubbing him :)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
You can dry wet muddy legs off quicker by bandaging them; we did this many times with hunters when they first came back; it would warm them up too which is important if they've had a hard day. Leave a couple of hours, remove and brush off, job done. Just remember to brush the mud off the bandages before rolling them up again.

glamourpuss

Visit site
My top tip for bandaging is:
Pull the bandage tighter as you go over the canon bone but don't apply any tension to it as you wrap around the tendon areas at the back of the leg.

sandi_84

Visit site
As long as it is a stable bandage and there is little dirt on the legs bandaging when wet will not be a problem!

To check the tightness you make sure you can get 1 finger down the bandage and gamgee..... I also give a wobble up and down the leg and see if there is any movement.

You can't really over tighten stable bandages especially when you have gamgee under neath..... I expect it will be more of an issue getting them tight enough!!!

Sorry I didn't notice this post last time but brilliant bit of advice there thank you :)

Cheers everyone for the tips, hopefully will be able to hijack the OH soon to have a go and fingers crossed it dries up at least a little for me to practice, it's been bucketing down here and I have a mud monster horse at the moment ha ha! :D

yaffsimone1

Visit site
I've been quite fortunate that my cobs legs never needed bandaging so i've not had to do it often but my new TB has spindly legs!

When i did hers for the first time i must have re-done 1 leg about 10 times before i was happy that it wasn't too tight or too loose. Fingers in the top and bottom is a good indication and so is the gentle wobble up and down.

Remember if your fleece bandages fasten with velcro make sure the velcro fastens on the outside of the leg, that way your bandages wont unravel when horse catches the inside with his foot.

I also try to overlap by about an inch and keep it regular up and down the leg.

Make sure there is about a couple of cm of gamgee poking out above and below the bandage.

Happy bandaging :)

sandi_84

Visit site
I've been quite fortunate that my cobs legs never needed bandaging so i've not had to do it often but my new TB has spindly legs!

When i did hers for the first time i must have re-done 1 leg about 10 times before i was happy that it wasn't too tight or too loose. Fingers in the top and bottom is a good indication and so is the gentle wobble up and down.

Remember if your fleece bandages fasten with velcro make sure the velcro fastens on the outside of the leg, that way your bandages wont unravel when horse catches the inside with his foot.

I also try to overlap by about an inch and keep it regular up and down the leg.

Make sure there is about a couple of cm of gamgee poking out above and below the bandage.

Happy bandaging :)

Thank you :)