How to pick out feet using one hand ?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
As above ?

Due to recent injury (3 broken fingers) it's just occurred to me that I'm going to have to do this one handed for a while ?

Have use of index finger & thumb & Madam is very obliging and lifts feet easily and politely ?

Was thinking maybe I could balance foot on my forearm somehow ?

Tips anyone? ?

Equi

Visit site
My elephants legs are too heavy to hold up anyway so I always put it on my thigh/leg. Not through it like a farrier would but just resting on the leg closest to theirs. I could easily pick out with one hand.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
How are your fingers feeling today? Hope you are in less pain.

It’s certainly tricky. I didn’t bother to start with but they were getting stones wedged in the frogs so with B I balanced his feet on my knee and DP just held his up on command. I was able to lift them properly after about two weeks. Do be careful though, if it’s hurting ask somebody to help you.

paddy555

Visit site
very easy to do. On left side legs face horse's leg, kneel with your right knee on the ground and your left with your foot on the ground forming the support for the foot on your thigh. Then use the broken fingered hand to just steady the hoof and the good hand to clean. I often trim feet like this and I also do it for cleaning.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
How are your fingers feeling today? Hope you are in less pain.

It’s certainly tricky. I didn’t bother to start with but they were getting stones wedged in the frogs so with B I balanced his feet on my knee and DP just held his up on command. I was able to lift them properly after about two weeks. Do be careful though, if it’s hurting ask somebody to help you.

I'm dosed up well - so far so good ?

I will def ask if I can't cope at first - thank you ?

Uliy

Visit site
I broke my left wrist recently and just sort of laid the hoof over my wrist (painful as it was still broken at this point, but in a cast!) instead of holding it.