How to put weight on without fizzing up?

appaloosacaz

Visit site
Hey!

For the first year my horse has lost a lot of weight and is quite skinny, he has had a few months off so lost a lot of muscle as well. Currently he is out during the day in during the night, ad lib hay (haylage fizzes him up) he has am and pm food of a scoop of haygates conditioning cubes, half scoop of chaff, half scoop of sugarbeet and relax me (which works amazingly for him) I'm bringing him back into work now but I was looking for suggestions to add the weight without causing him to blow! Supplement suggestions are welcome, already tried Bailey's top line which i didn't think made a lot of difference the haygates nuts have improved his coat condition greatly

TGM

Visit site
Has he had a recent dental check? Impaired dentition is a common cause of weightloss as they can't chew hay so effectively. If he is not usually a poor doer and is on ad lib hay, he would explain the sudden change.

appaloosacaz

Visit site
His teeth have been checked, no quidding or discomfort seen when eating. He does lose a little weight over winter normally he's 3/4 tb fine in himself

Nudibranch

Visit site
Teeth actually done or just "checked"? Even if they're not dropping food they can have issues with the teeth.
Worm count?
Linseed is good for weight gain. I'd drop the chaff as is doesn't add anything.

spacefaer

Visit site
Equerry Conditioning Mash is amazing for adding condition, shine and improving hoof growth and quality of horn, without adding fizz. I've got all my hunters on it, and they look brilliant - even as their coats are changing.

paddi22

Visit site
yeah equerry is amazing.. also the oil based stuff like outshine. bluegrass turmash is great too for adding condition and shine with blowing them!