How to retrain horse to pick up feet after lameness?

ellerslie83

Visit site
My horse was lame a few months ago with suspected lami and foot soreness from losing shoes and despite recovering since then he's been extremely difficult to pick his feet up. As he's been haring round his field like an idiot again for at least the last two or three months and he trots up fine, he shouldn't be in pain, so I could assume it's learned....but how do I retrain him?

canteron

Visit site
My horse was lame a few months ago with suspected lami and foot soreness from losing shoes and despite recovering since then he's been extremely difficult to pick his feet up. As he's been haring round his field like an idiot again for at least the last two or three months and he trots up fine, he shouldn't be in pain, so I could assume it's learned....but how do I retrain him?

Clicker training as then he not only learns to pick up his feet, but to enjoy. Using a clicker works particularly well for feet as it is easier to get the precise timing of the praise/treat right, but any type of positive training should give relatively quick results.