How to ride a donkey

TrasaM

Visit site
This makes me smile...can it really be this easy!
Gently approach and communicate with the donkey before strapping on the saddle. Establishing a bond and a sense of trust will ensure a smooth experience for animal and rider alike.

Fit the donkey with the saddle. A regular horse saddle will not work with the donkey's back shape. Make sure the saddle is situated away from the animal's shoulder blades.

Make sure the harness is an appropriate fit. It may be tricky to fit in the jaw area, but using harnesses with adjustments at both sides of the head usually works. Find one with a nose band that can be adjusted.

Allow the donkey some time to get used to the riding equipment before mounting. Let him wander around the pen or grounds for some time. This will also give you time to see if the saddle and harness were strapped on correctly. If not, make the proper adjustments at this time.

Hop into the saddle and ride.

Tips & Warnings
Riding lessons are advised for people with little experience.

While navigation should be relatively easy, there are some places that donkeys will not go, especially wet areas. Trying to force them into a place they do not care to tread usually wet places.

Lolo

Visit site
Cn I just remind people it took 5 people to persuade Reggie's donkey to cross the road? It needed carrying over in the end. It was still bucking and kicking at that point. Not entirely sure how on earth we'd ever convince him that a saddle was a good idea... Headcollars seem quite daring!

[youtube]8Yki-asspcI&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]
For anyone who isn't aware of how stubborn and bonkers donkeys are :D This whole process took well over half an hour...

lazybee

Visit site
Probably generalising here but, with my own donk......yes is it was that easy. Not riding but driving. He was in the shafts within a week. Donkeys don't think like horses at all. Once they see something isn't a threat they just get on with it. You can't do repetitive training either. You can't lunge or do endless long reining. Once something is learnt it stays learnt; they soon get bored. The only thing weird about mine is the fact he's quite happy to cross a ford in the river but sometime he'll point blankly refuse to go through puddles.

MD000030.jpg

TrasaM

Visit site
Cn I just remind people it took 5 people to persuade Reggie's donkey to cross the road? It needed carrying over in the end. It was still bucking and kicking at that point. Not entirely sure how on earth we'd ever convince him that a saddle was a good idea... Headcollars seem quite daring!

[youtube]8Yki-asspcI&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]
For anyone who isn't aware of how stubborn and bonkers donkeys are :D This whole process took well over half an hour...

Love it..:D