How to ride drops fences?

SueAllen

Visit site
Did some cross country training today and learnt loads. However, I really cannot get my head round any fence with a drop. I don't ride the horse into it properly - he wonders what the hell I am playing at and the whole thing just doesn't happen. We tried a very small drop over a decent sized log and that was ok but I really don't feel confident in my approach. We are only talking small fences here but I guess the technique is the same whatever the size? Any tips from you pros that might help particulary with regard to rider confidence rather than horse? He probably is gagging for somebody with some idea of what they are doing to get on board - he has to settle for me instead!

I_A_P

Visit site
best thing to do is to not look down the drop, almost forget it it is there and keep you leg on, going from a trot is better as u have more cntrol over what the horse is doing inderneath you, just try to keep you weight slightly back, and let the reins slide through you fingers if need be, to give the horse his head..hope that helps!

SueAllen

Visit site
That is, word for word, exactly what my trainer told me.... so she is certainly on the right track! But it is so much easier said than done as far as I am concerned. I am very annoyed at myself for being so pathetic as I really was much more determined over the rest of the fences. I wonder why I am being such a wimp? Lots of practice needed somewhere good I think. As you are in East Anglia too Fran123t - can you recommend anywhere?

Bossanova

Visit site
dont ride it any differently- unless its a very large drop, just ride it as a normal fence, be travelling foprwards but not flat and running, you want a nice bouncy stride to have the horses hocks under.

Position wise, the first stage of the jump is the same and the only difference is that as the horse travels downwards for longer, youre body comes more upright in the last stage. Its hard to explain in words but if you imagine the normal landing phase, your body is upright as it is coming out of the fold, basicallyu as the horse goes further down, your body comes up more. Therefore a drop fence doesnt need any conscious effort to move the body back, it's a natural process so long as your leg is secure in your normal jumping.

Too many people tense up and force their bodies back over even very little drops which doesnt help the horse's balance at all!

SueAllen

Visit site
Well I'm in Norfolk - east coast. Used a local deer park course tonight as it is only 20 mins away from home but within easy travelling distance of Blackwater and Burnham Market.

I_A_P

Visit site
burnham has some steps but they may be big (sorry dont want to patronise) erm blackwater is qyite nce, altho neither of them have loads of drops u can practise and practise, but blackwater has a nice small one going into water, u must b fairly near me, im on the N/S border!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Last couple of drop fences I have jumped have had horrible ground line and were quite a hefty fence, so I have taken a pull and showjumped it if that makes sense, I prefer landing at the bottom of the drop as opposed to horse taking a stride out and landing half way down a greasy drop.

SueAllen

Visit site
That does all make sense. I think I was actually doing exactly what you said not to do - way too tense over a small drop. Poor guy - he really does know how to do it but I was giving him a whole mix of signals this evening. I think your explanation of coming up more out of a naturally more upright body as you come out of th fence makes a lot of sense but I think I may be way too inexperienced to be able to work that into my way of riding at the moment. I suspect my leg isn't as secure as it should be either which won't help! Loads more work needed but if I can crack the drops I will be happy!

SillyMare

Visit site
I do think rider fitness, strength and balance is important for drops (or perhaps drop jumps are the ones that can expose a weakness!).

I know I never problems with drops as a teenager and then gave up riding for 6 years, resumed in my 20s and couldn't do a drop to save my life! I was just about OK with a single drop, but down a set of 2 or 3 steps and I would be out the front door!

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that for me it all came together as I was jumping regularly and my balance / fitness improved.

Just relax, follow the advice above and don't worry if it takes a little while to come together - you will get there with practice.

SueAllen

Visit site
That might be part of the problem - I thought I was fit but I was huffing and puffing so much yesterday that I doubt I'll be able to do a whole course in one go unless I get much fitter! Will keep at it and practice.

Petrie

Visit site
Over small drops I don't think you need to do anything different, just concentrate on your lower leg position (weight in heels, keep legs forward) sit up, and allow with your hands.

You shouldn't need to sit back or slip the reins until the drops get bigger.

Down a little step, just sit up and look forward, keep your head up, weight in heels, open fingers to allow reins to slip through if necessary.

I promise, they are much easier than you think!

And ride forward positively so the horse jumps out over the drop and springs away rather than plopping down the other side in a heap, which is not very balancing for you!

Good luck!