How to sell a pony really well and get the best possible home .. help!

smallbutgreat

Visit site
Right, I'm in need of all the good advice and experience this forum can bring ...

We've decided we need to sell our pony in the course of the next year ...

My middle daughter, who rides her, will leave school next summer and go on a gap year/hopefully university after. The pony is kept on full livery, and my youngest daughter has little/no interest in riding. Cost is one reason to sell, but I've been visiting the pony regularly for the past six weeks while middle daughter has done work experience overseas, and can see that she really does not like standing in a field/stable doing nothing and with little human contact and (am I reading in human feelings?) would prefer to move on to another attentive rider willing to take her out for lots of fun experiences.

My question relates not so much to the wording of an advert or pricing (pony is 10, been with us for three and a half years, 14.2 hh with life certificate, good recent record in affilatied SJ and before that, in UK, all pony club teams, I would say very talented with yet more to offer, great hack and very kind, only real drawback that she can be a little sharp and fast with a novice rider).

It's more the overall ... places to advertise, how to "deal" with the whole thing. I've never sold a pony before (she's only our second, and the first was loaned several times and then placed as a permanent light hack/companion) and have to admit that selling her goes against all my better judgment, but at the end of the day I think it is at least as much in her interest as ours.

Our top priority is a great home and a committed new owner, but I know this is easier said than done and putting her up for a giveaway price would no way guarantee this.

Selling a beloved animal goes very much against the grain for me ... I guess you can tell we are not a born horse-owning home. Any advice you can give me on how to get a good outcome would be very much appreciated.

ihatework

Visit site
Ask your instructor to put the word out and the PC DC etc.
Be very honest about her good and bad points to any potential purchaser
Get purchaser to try her in a variety of situations
Vet where the pony will be going. If theyt have had previous loan ponies ask for references. If they are in PC speak to their DC.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Exactly as B-a-J said! Also, try and weed out the numpties and time-wasters while they are on the phone. Let proper people try her thoroughly and politely advise any hopeless ones that perhaps she's not for them. Lucky pony to have such a thoughtful owner and good luck when the time comes.