How to sell this horse?

shadowboy

Visit site
I've had my horse advertised for 6 weeks and he's only had one viewing. He went well in the viewing and lady like him - called him a 'classy horse' but felt he could potentially be cheeky in the future. He could well be but not really shown that yet- my dressage trainer has said he's quiet enough to put her Gran on. He's straightforward on the ground. Not sure what to do- he's on horse and hound; Horsequest and BD as well as BD Facebook page. I've had LOADS of people asking for videos and have sent them 5-6. I'm not sure if they are just mooching. He's not up for silly money- the problem is full livery is costing me £550 a month and soon I'll have spent more on livery than I'm asking for him! What can I do?? Is it possible my advert putting him off? If so, why am I getting loads of emails and calls etc (about 1 a day) but only one person has actually decided to view. I really really need to sell.....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Where have you advertised?

When I bought Betty and found she was not for me as she was too big and hurt my hip and back, she went onto a sales livery so she could be shown properly. Because of the high cost of livery she was advertised on H&H, Horsequest, Preloved and about 20 Facebook groups!

I did a good video, showing flatwork, jumping, loading, work in the open and also some confo shots. I put the video on the adverts, so people did not have to ask.

Then, after a poor response (although it was just before Xmas), I had her doing stuff so people could see she was out and about, sound and working. She went to 3 shows in 3 weeks, and it meant I could update the adverts with what Betty was doing now.

It was actually through a Facebook advert that she sold, and it was the constant updating that made the buyer make that call. I think I only owned her about 6 weeks, one week here, 2 weeks at sales prep, 3 weeks competing and sold. It was quite a bit of work to keep the adverts updated.

The other thing was, the place she was sold from had a great school, great rider to show her to her best, and a very professional service. I chose someone who would give any bad points too, such as she could be a bit strong on the ground. Because it was all so open it inspired confidence in the buyer.

Betty was also priced right. I think she was "worth" around 9K, but was happy to accept less to the right home, which was someone who could ride a big, young (but not problematic) horse. Having said that, I think I may have priced her a bit low, as some people thought there must have been something wrong with her, when there was not!

I have been looking for another, and sometimes the videos do the horse no favours. Ditto having not enough evidence of what the horse can do, TBH I had more evidence off 6 weeks of ownership of Betty than some people had after 2 years of supposed happy ownership! In these days of mobile phones, Ipads et-al, there is no reason not to have good evidence.

If Betty had not sold that weekend she was due to go hunting to provide photos and video of that too.I guess it is about showing what the horse can do. I could not guarantee her as a hunter without hunting her, even though she had supposedly been (and been good) with her previous owner, just before I bought her. If there are no photos she as good as did not do it!

She would also have had video of road riding and a dressage comp too.

Last edited:

gnubee

Visit site
If you're getting enquiries but no viewings chances are you are saying something on the calls that is putting people off. Have you got a feeling for which questions it is that you are giving an answer they don't want to hear? I think people tend to assume sellers play down issues, so if you're being extra-honest about issues to be on the safe side that could potentially be an issue as in their head 'he bucked once when he was backed' can easily translate just to 'he bucks sometimes. Fingers crossed we get safely through the viewing.'
Given that you are getting enquiries it seems fair to say that the only thing wrong with the ad itself is possibly it is sending you the wrong kind of people if you cant figure out how you are putting them off. Are all the videos showing the horse at its best? 30 seconds of a horse doing perfect paces in an outline and 1 decent jump clip is worth a lot more than 5 mins that include minor issues

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ok so my main thought is that I really don't like the flatwork video that follows the XC one of him on youtube.
it looks forced, he looks resistant etc as he is green I would much rather see him ridden with a longer rein and allowed to relax, his jumping canter is miles better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqvuvsrdZrE

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
My honest opinion- I wouldnt descibe him as 'thinks hes a warmblood'.... sell him as what he is, a sec D cross, or sec D x TB. A lot of people dont like warmbloods. Is he passported as PB Welsh? if so, you should mention it.
I dont like the flatwork video eithher. I think he looks like hes being a bit 'forced into an outline'' and therefore not tracking up. He isnt being allowed to work over his back in a relaxed, more 'through' manner.
But I think hes a super fellow and he will make someone very happy.

Palindrome

Visit site
Ok so my main thought is that I really don't like the flatwork video that follows the XC one of him on youtube.
it looks forced, he looks resistant etc as he is green I would much rather see him ridden with a longer rein and allowed to relax, his jumping canter is miles better.

agree with this, I would rather see a bit of outside rein/inside leg on the circle if you want him a bit rounder to show him off but I think he is being pulled together too much in the video and opening his mouth/behind the vertical as a result.
Saying that he looks a lovely sort, I like him.

shadowboy

Visit site

Interestingly I don't send that one but I do use the XC one - I can't delete the flatwork one as its not my account :(

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I agree that the flatwork video could show him off better and the reins are really short and he is overbending at times but i still like him a lot.

Lexi_

Visit site
I'd remove/edit this part. Kinda suggests that he does rear/buck with less experienced riders :/

"He is however green- I have mainly loved him and hacked him and now he is ready to move on to new and more fun things. He needs someone who can teach him the next thing- hence no novices- he's not ready to teach them. He takes his feel from his rider- if they kick him on he will go and he wont rear or buck in resistance. But as I say hes young so there are many things he hasn't seen so sometimes you might need to put your leg on to send him forward and a quick pat on the shoulder to reassure him."

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, the videos are Ok, show what you are describing, a green horse. I see you already have the nice arena, and pro rider.

The photo of him stood up would put many people off. I would take another side view, but with the head lower. Maybe after work, so he is more settled. I also would not include the photo of him laid in the stable.

I would also cut the rest of the paragraph after "-hence no novices." A green horse is a green horse, and does not need a novice, but the rest of the paragraph is offputting and does not really tell me any more.

Also, I would do some more video, of flat and jump. Flat to show a dressage test? Or, take to a test or two, and video them?

I also get the feeling he could do a bit more jumping, for instance as well as those single fences most horses can canter down a grid to a bigger fence?

Many people would feel better if he actually went to a show. Could the pro do this?

Finally, I sold mine off my own Youtube account. I, as most will, look through the other videos the account user posts, and it seems to me that the account user is a dealer, or a pro of some sort. This is more of an issue because your advert implies that it is a private sale, so it is incongruent. I sold mine as a private sale, with my own youtube account, and my own contact details on the advert. The pro was just showing the horse for me.

shadowboy

Visit site
Hi, the videos are Ok, show what you are describing, a green horse. I see you already have the nice arena, and pro rider.

The photo of him stood up would put many people off. I would take another side view, but with the head lower. Maybe after work, so he is more settled. I also would not include the photo of him laid in the stable.

I would also cut the rest of the paragraph after "-hence no novices." A green horse is a green horse, and does not need a novice, but the rest of the paragraph is offputting and does not really tell me any more.

Also, I would do some more video, of flat and jump. Flat to show a dressage test? Or, take to a test or two, and video them?

I also get the feeling he could do a bit more jumping, for instance as well as those single fences most horses can canter down a grid to a bigger fence?

Many people would feel better if he actually went to a show. Could the pro do this?

Finally, I sold mine off my own Youtube account. I, as most will, look through the other videos the account user posts, and it seems to me that the account user is a dealer, or a pro of some sort. This is more of an issue because your advert implies that it is a private sale, so it is incongruent. I sold mine as a private sale, with my own youtube account, and my own contact details on the advert. The pro was just showing the horse for me.

I will try and have a chat to him- I purposely tried to put as much info in to keep the advert honest- and to get people to understand he is coming from a family home- he's with an event rider on sales/full livery - the recent photos and videos are his- he will be the one showing the horse as I simply don't have time. I'll see if I can get him to change the videos.

I will say I don't think the advert is specifically putting people off as I've had maybe 30 texts/calls or emails but obviously something I'm saying or the videos put people off From making a viewing. Soon my livery bill will be bigger than what I'm asking :(

Asha

Visit site
Id get rid of the conformation photo or tak another one.

Try advertising him on the PC website, he looks like a nice prospect for a competent teenager

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ad is a story. Cut out your personal comments. I also don't like the warmblood comment either.

Remove the lying down with a rug, the back of his head pic and get a better conformation shot.

He actually sounds great for a young green horse and I think you need to remove the negative bits of the ad and big up this fact.

I've cut it down a bit but it's still a bit of a story. He sounds fab but I'd be scared to phone you because I would think I would never get off the phone.

Sure you want to sell him ;)

2011 Gelding Welsh Sec D x TB. 5 this summer. Full History available.

Talented, sound and has lovely paces. Good three time canter. He has started lateral work and is easily getting the hang of medium trot, shoulder in/fore and leg yield.

Carefully brought on as my next event horse however young family forces sale through lack of time.

He will hack alone, in company; front or back - will let others canter off without him too. He doesn't get silly in open spaces.

He is a gem to do in all ways- comes to call, good to shoe, clip and bath. He loads and travels perfectly. He doesn't call out when we go to clinics.

He has no vices, hang-ups or health issues.

Teeth done December. Back done last month and vaccinations up to date- he's fit and ready to go and have fun.

wills_91

Visit site
I like him, I like him alot if I had 3k I would have him :) I agree with others that advert is a bit wordy and I'm not keen on the flat work video he looks a bit forced. I would put a better photo of him standing up on the advert and remove the one of him lying down.

TGM

Visit site
To be brutally honest, the wording of the ad does make me read between the lines that he is being sold as too much for current rider, and the fact that he has been sent to a pro rider backs that up as does the video posted on this thread. He looks like like quite a tense little horse ridden very strongly by the rider - makes you think if he wasn't ridden so strongly would he be naughty? I can see why the only viewer thought he might turn cheeky.

If that isn't true then get a better video where he looks more relaxed. Also if he is ready to compete then get him out somewhere, even if it is a walk and trot test. I also agree the confo shot is not flattering, definitely need to get a better one. I'd reword the ad too and cut out the waffle (things like 'he has been loved and hacked') and stick to the main facts.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I think most has been covered in the posts above cut back the story, I remember looking at the ad thinking he may suit someone on here who was looking for a small horse to event, it would be worth checking back as he does fit the bill almost as they decided to find a young one to bring on in the end, I got to the confo photo and that put me off, it may well put off other people once they show the ad to their advisers/ trainers.

Some will also be put off going to see him in a pro yard, even though you are not hiding anything and the reason is genuine they often decide that for the type he is there must be more to it and move on to something else.

I would also expect to see him jumping a decent fence at the end of a grid, I nearly always do this and it can impress people when they see the horse has some scope, he looks to be ready to push on a bit so get the pro to do some gridwork and video it.

The other thing is when I take on sales liveries I always handle the advertising and take the initial calls, last year an owner wanted to deal with everything and no one actually got as far as coming to view, I took over and the pony was sold within a couple of weeks, sometimes it helps to keep things simple, they phone, if interested they arrange to view all in one go, it can be too much effort to then have to contact the YO and arrange something, people can be remarkably lazy when it comes to looking, usually it is the ones who phone rather than email or text that end up coming to buy.

Irish gal

Visit site
I sell horses for a living and you are doing very well to have a call a day. So it's something you are saying when they call that is off putting. It's great to be totally honest, people appreciate it and can tell you're honest, that inspires confidence; however, you have a horse to sell so you need to at all times foreground his positive points when you're speaking to people.

If there's any minor little issue, you can tell them when they come to see him, but you should give him the chance of selling by getting them to view. I agree with the others, remove all mention of bucking, rearing - that's totally negative and he doesn't do it so no need to mention. Instead of saying not like a warmblood, say has a brilliant mind and is very trainable. That's the positive way to put it. FW's add version is a lot better and it's important to have the right title. I would go with something like: 'Pocket Rocket - Teen Dream Horse'

Don't send a video that shows him in a bad light, you can get around the youtube problem by copying the good video onto your hard drive and sending it to those who are interested. Or putting it elsewhere on youtube and giving the link in your ad. The PC would be a great place to advertise him and write the ad aimed at that market.

He's a cracking little horse and cheap at that price.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Agree with most of what has been said. He is a cracking little horse but if I was looking I would be concerned at the size of the pro riding him - is he too much for a small person? I am 5'2" and was put off by men riding small horses when I was looking at 15.2hh.

TickyTavey

Visit site
The advert is so long and needlessly rambling. If you have this much preamble in print might it be the case that you do the same (or worse) on the phone?? You really don't need to go overboard explaining what a green horse is or why he's unsuitable for a novice (unless a very novice prospective buyer calls up, I guess). You also don't need to overly explain away your reasons for selling - you have a young family/lack time, end of. He looks like a fun little horse, good luck, I'm sure someone will snap him up. Lots of good suggestions already to improve advert.

JulesRules

Visit site
He looks super. I agree with FW re the ad wording - although I might keep a line in about not suitable for novice riders due to still being a bit green.

Can you maybe advertise him at a local riding club - ours has an ad board with horses for sale. Also - can you get him out to a local riding club show or clear round jumping and put the word out he is for sale?

A friend had been looking for a horse and we happened to be at our local riding club show. She saw a pretty mare being walked round and was like "aw, I would love something like her". The girls with her piped up "she's for sale". That was about 8 years ago and my friend still has her.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Don't mention having his back done! Why would a four year old need his back done? It would put me right off that you thought he might need it.

stormox

Visit site
If you are getting the calls, then people dont come, it must be something in the call putting them off. You mention that he's 'green' in the ad- are you stressing that too much? I think hes quite advanced compared to a lot of 5 year olds (I assume you mean 5 this year?).Are you rambling on, like in the ad, and not letting buyers ask the questions they want to ask? Are you asking them about the sort of person/rider/home they are a bit too much? Are you stressing the negatives and not the good?
Have a think on how you are handling the calls and see if you can think of anything you might/might not be saying. Dont forget to listen to them, they are the ones asking the questions, and answer them as honestly, professionally and politely as you can.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't think the not for novices sentence is really ever needed when you are selling a rising 5yr old event prospect. If someone is that stupid that they need you to point it out to them, then they aren't going to be clever enough to realise they are indeed a novice. Weed the dreamers out on the phone. There is no need to put any phrase like that in an advert. That includes anything about no time wasters and so on. A serious buyer is a serious buyer and nothing you add like that will make an idiot pause for breath. It will potentially put a serious buyer off tho!