How to start separating a mare and foal?

_jetset_

Visit site
Troy is now 3 months old and getting quite independant in the field but is still clingy to his Mum when being led (so I am leading him away as much as possible which is working).

I have started riding Hannah because she needs some exercise (she is quite podgy) and at the moment I am having to take Troy down to the school with me and my husband coming and holding him while we ride around them.

I would like to start riding her more, but it is only the two of them in the field (I am on a private livery yard and there are no suitable companions) and the stables are a few minutes away from the school.

Thanks,

Rebecca x

Tia

Visit site
In your situation I think I would make use of your stable for this one. Put Troy in the stable and get him used to being in it alone with Hannah tied up outside. Gradually take her for short walks in sight of him and then upping this to quickly taking her out of sight and then bringing her back. Make these journeys a little longer each day. Foals generally get used to this fairly quickly so long as they have some hay to munch on and other horses around them.

I tend to do this from the field though. Leaving the foal and taking out the mare but so that the foal can see her. Same thing really, eventually taking the mare out for longer and then out of sight. Our little mare is being ridden again however as our little foal is only 1 month old we still keep the mare within eyesight of her right now. Legacy doesn't give a hoot mind you as she has her adoring Aunties who take the best of care of her when Mum is off grazing or being ridden.

Good luck.
cool.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Tia... I might try that tonight. I just hope he doesn't try jumping out of the stable. Do you think it would be a good idea to put a small feed in with him?

Tia

Visit site
Yes I would put in a little feed. Really just do whatever helps initially. You don't want him to panic or injure himself, so anything which will help him settle can only be a good thing. Just don't overdo it at the beginning othewise you could have him fretting in the long-run. You're sensible though so you'll know when enough is enough
cool.gif

Hope it goes smoothly for you all.
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... I might just give Hannah a brush outside the stable tonight and see how they are. She doesn't seem too concerned when she cannot see him, but he does tend to want t run to Mum when something is scary etc etc.

amandaco2

Visit site
i agree with tia.just make sure he can see other horses and do things a little bit at a time.you may be best taking mum out of ear shot if she calls back to him.
also try leading them saperately(not just behind mum but in front too) and lead him in the field to train looking at scarey objects with you so he looks to humans for leadership as well mum
smile.gif
worked for beyonce!

_jetset_

Visit site
He does walk in front all of the time, and walks away without any problems whatsoever as done this from day one. We have done lots of leading, he is no problem in that respect.

Hannah is not bothered at all when I take her away... it's a shame really because he loves her so much and she is seriously fed up of him now
laugh.gif