How to stop a dark horse from fading?

hoggedmane

I have a black mare and have always brought her in out of the sun when it is really hot( and away from flies). Last year bought a fly rug and that kept her coat black even when she stayed out.

kathantoinette

Fly rug with UV reflective material. I got the Mark Todd one for last summer and it made a big difference. Summer 2012 my horse looked orange but summer 2013 was much better with the rug on every day. I think it made him cooler in temperature as well.

Love

I might be corrected here but it could be their colour genetics. Some blacks are non fading and some are fading.

(Have also heard it can be sun and also a copper deficiency)

Tiddlypom

I believe that bleaching can be a sign of a dietary deficiency in certain mineral(s)and can be remedied by a feeding a good supplement.

Hopefully someone more expert than me will be along in a bit to explain further!

My late liver chesnut gelding used to bleach out in the summer until he looked almost like a dun colour, instead of a lovely rich chocolate brown. I didn't know, then, about the dietary connection.

Don't forget that copper deficiency (especially if your grazing is high in iron) has been linked to fading coat colour. A correctly balanced supplement can help if this is the cause.

ETA - I've been typing too slowly again! ;)