How to stop a dark horse from fading?

hoggedmane

Visit site
I have a black mare and have always brought her in out of the sun when it is really hot( and away from flies). Last year bought a fly rug and that kept her coat black even when she stayed out.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Would echo the fly rug, mine wear a Rambo Sweet Itch Hoodie (we are in the flatlands with ponds and dykes, and the flies have FANGS), and the material is so dense the sun does not bleach my Horses' coats.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Fly rug with UV reflective material. I got the Mark Todd one for last summer and it made a big difference. Summer 2012 my horse looked orange but summer 2013 was much better with the rug on every day. I think it made him cooler in temperature as well.

Love

Visit site
I might be corrected here but it could be their colour genetics. Some blacks are non fading and some are fading.

(Have also heard it can be sun and also a copper deficiency)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I believe that bleaching can be a sign of a dietary deficiency in certain mineral(s)and can be remedied by a feeding a good supplement.

Hopefully someone more expert than me will be along in a bit to explain further!

My late liver chesnut gelding used to bleach out in the summer until he looked almost like a dun colour, instead of a lovely rich chocolate brown. I didn't know, then, about the dietary connection.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Don't forget that copper deficiency (especially if your grazing is high in iron) has been linked to fading coat colour. A correctly balanced supplement can help if this is the cause.

ETA - I've been typing too slowly again! ;)