how to stop a horse escaping?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
my horse hates being stabled but because of the bad weather has had to stay in. everytime i undo the latch either to see her or change the feed etc she barges out pushing me aside. then i have to push her backwards to give me time to get a leadrope to pull her back into the stable. im worried that one of these days she will run right out onto the roads. any ideas?thanks

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
you can get safty ropes to attach either side of the door on the inside - that might help. other than that is she stabled alone cos that wont help if she`s lonely. failing all else some good manners re invading your space need teaching/relarning. is there any reason why she cant stay out in bad weather - most horses really dont mind.

Natch

Visit site
Apart from the obvious try to get some turnout sorted, a chest strap across the door would do it. Robinsons etc sell them.

starryeyed

Visit site
Agree that as a short-term fix you could buy a stall guard - one like this would stop her from getting out - http://www.4dobbin.com/p-Rubber-Stall-Guard-Roma.html You can also get them in this style: http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/stable-yard/stable/stable-fittings/stall-guard.html but the first would be easier to open/close or duck underneath.
Does she have to stay in during wet weather because of yard rules?
For the long term you need to work on her ground manners - make sure she's happy moving backwards and to the side when you ask her to, and make sure you praise her as soon as she does what you ask. When she's happy doing that, ask her to move back whenever you get to the door (you could practise doing this with just the chain across to start with if its easier), so that she learns to step backwards when you're coming in. Do it every time so that she knows what to expect. I've taught all ours to do this and they do pick it up quite quickly, just make sure you praise her as soon as she does what you want her to :) After a while they start to do it automatically. Hope this helps a little, good luck!

horseluver4eva

Visit site
i think i might get some of that. thankyou. she will be having constant turnout all summer starting from thursday but in the mean time im at another yard where the land is all boggy and the owner doesnt like the horses being out in bad weather