How to stop a horse turning in?

Bri

Visit site
Whilst lunging that is?
Have been having a play with the new girl, trying to get her used to voice commands and build up some muscle. First few times she was great but has now learnt to turn in and stick by my side. She refuses to go 'out' again - despite growling at her, 'scary' body language and encouragement with the whip.
Have resorted to having someone walk round at her head - but usually isn't anyone around so can't do it all the time.
Should I stick to lunging when there is someone around? Or is there anything else I can do? Ta!

Clodagh

Visit site
Can you lunge with two reins? That would help.
Sorry to hear about your boy.
frown.gif

Bri

Visit site
Not sure how she'd react to it - would it not encourage her to turn her bum in?? Will wait til YO is around and then give it a go.

Thank you. Missing him so much already
frown.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
My boy used to do this and now the 4yr old at work has started to do it. I find if I move quickly to the back of the horse and push them off, either with the whip or with a growl etc. They should move froward away from you but you have to be quick to stop them coming in again. I also found loose schooling helped with this to.

Nari

Visit site
I'd also go for two lines. It shouldn't encourage her to turn her bum in - the second line acts as your outside rein but where it is behind her quarters it can also be used to send her on - and if it does then you've got it way too tight! If you're worried how she'll react though I've also seen people put the second line through the roller then over the horse's back so it isn't around the hindquarters.

Bri

Visit site
I've tried
crazy.gif
Was running about like a headless chicken this morning - whereas she was just very cooley swinging her ass round so her head was always facing me!!
Have tried - shooing, growling, shouting - she's stubborn as anything and just flickers her ears at me and looks bored!

Clodagh

Visit site
mmm..I can only lunge with 2 reins if the horse behaves, naughty ones I can only manage one, so not the best person to give advice...
smirk.gif

If you had the outside one coming over her back at the saddle patch, not around her bum, might that not give you some outside steering? Then you'd need to hold a whip, too!
My big horse is an angel and I can lunge her with 2, little pony is a b*gger and turns and stands and stares, I do him with 1 and as PF says, lots of runnig around. (I wonder who is lungeing who sometimes).
tongue.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Isn't that just like mares?
smile.gif
Ok, another thing you could try is making a 'ring' with jump poles on crates or simlar. I find it much easier to lunge reluctant horses like this!
OR, do what BOF does and get an assistant to do the running!
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Excellent thank you - so if she tries to turn in I just use the 2nd rein to guide her back out? Will the 2nd rein also keep her going forward, or should I use a whip too?
*Have visions of me all tangled up, while horse looks on smirking!*

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Its very easy, just use them as you would a pair of reins. Having them loose like that means you can give the outside one a slap to send them forwards, no need for a whip. It also makes rein changes ultra easy. When you have them trained to voice they should change reins without you moving a muscle.

Nari

Visit site
Vicijp I agree with you about everything except rein changes being easy, so far I can only manage them in walk & even that isn't a pretty sight!

frannieuk

Visit site
How on earth did you manage to lunge with two lines and take the video!! Thats got to be talent, or are were you born with 3 hands???

_jetset_

Visit site
I was having the exact same problem with Grace so I booked a lesson with my instructor (just 30 mins) and got her to lunge her. It worked a treat... basically she kept encouraging her forwards with the whip, and if she stopped and turned in she would put herself at the side and make her carry on. Kept her on quite a smallish circle so she could get her moving around her first, then gradually increased it.

Grace is now lunging brillantly (sorry if I haven't explained this very well)

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Ive have that problem with three out my four youngsters, Ive found when they walk in, give then nothing, dont look or any thing, guide the back to were they should be then reward, so being on the lunge out side (if ya get me) is positive.

S_N

Visit site
This is what I plan to try with B in the New Year. She's terrified of lunging - it's either turn in and hug me or gallop round like the wall of death - thanks to the person that £$%&ED her up on the lunge - so I will be starting from scratch. Long reining and introducing lunging from there.