How to stop jumping fences???

Henmen

Visit site
My mare seams to enjoy jumping her fences in the field, first time she done it i thought she'd learnt her lesson as she hurt herself quite badly, but we have moved yards, and she has done it twice again.
She is perfectly happy, in fact she is more happy and chilled at new yard than she was at old one, well fed, good grass, a good size paddock.
Shes jumping into an empty field, so its not like shes trying to get with others, and she cant have a companion, yard rules mean single paddocks.
Im VERY reluctent to put electric fencing all the way around, so not really an option, can anyone please suggest anything else??

Thankies
smile.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
Other than make the fence higher I don't really see what you can do. If the other field is empty could she not be turned out in there instead? It doesn't sound like she's hungry, and you said she's chilled and not worried about being on her own, sorry I don't really know what to suggest.

We've given up with our fence hopper. The field is split in 2 by electric fencing but at the moment it is open so they can go into either side. The lazy pony obviously can't be bothered to walk up to the gap in the fence and hops over the fence instead. He just walks up to it, trots just in front of it, and then pops over and immediately starts grazing on the other side. He justs treats the fence as an obstacle in his way.

Good luck I hope you find a solution.

the watcher

Visit site
If she is not trying to jump TOO somethng is she jumping to get AWAY from something..are there dogs on the yard or anything else that might drive her off..have you seen her do it?

Maybe she is trying to tell you she doesn't want to be a dressage diva..she wants to be a showjumper!

Henmen

Visit site
No, only the 2 pet ones, they dont chase, the only thing i can think of is that she is looning around and cant stop, so its either crash or jump!!
The paddock she jumping into isnt a grazing paddocks, its a bit fenced off, got drains and stuff in there
crazy.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
I have had 2 fence jumpers. We had our 5 acre field split into strips and and no matter which one you put him into he would jump left and only left into the other strips. The other horse was an ex-advanced eventer my sister had on loan. His owner kept him in with a 5 foot fence which he would sometimes jump out off when he took the fancy! Once with us (Well I was home alone) he jumped into the next field (which didn't have a fence all the way round) cantered round a few times and jumped back into his own field! We justed used electric fences and hoped they wouldn't injure themselves!

emma69

Visit site
We used to tie 'horse eating monsters' to the fence to keep them from jumping it - aka brightly coloured flappy and noisy things!!!! (think sacking bags, bright tape etc) Make sure they are securely tied,. and couldn't injure the horse should the horse still jump them, or they come loose.