How to stop my youngster rearing

rebeccas93

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a 10 month old section A colt who until now has been amazing at most things, he’s been great with stabling, rug changes, turnout and handling.. until now. For the past few days whenever we go to turn him out he is rearing and striking out with his front legs whilst in the air, biting and generally being a nightmare! It feels like we’ve taken a huge step back, I have booked him in to be cut next week to hopefully help but is there anything suggest in the mean time? Feeling really deflated! Thanks in advance :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Minimally handle him until he’s cut and always wear a hat and gloves , he probaly will be fine once he’s cut .
At the moment I would manage round the behaviour rather then using correction .

twiggy2

Visit site
Is he turned out with company? And for how long?
Are there any mares in season?
Keep calm amd to be honest I would turn out and leave out with company till after castration, look for somewhere he can stay out in a young herd with one or two older ones to keep things well behaved and leave him alone for a couple of weeks apart from visiting putting a headcollar on and checking over daily.
Let the testosterone settle and start again, IME most youngster issues dissappear if the are kept appropriately, ie living out full time with company.

rebeccas93

New User
Visit site
Thanks guys :) that’s was my plan this morning, out with the older boys herd that has another youngster him and turn out for a couple of weeks and start again. Thanks :)

be positive

Visit site
Thanks guys :) that’s was my plan this morning, out with the older boys herd that has another youngster him and turn out for a couple of weeks and start again. Thanks :)

That is sensible, colts often go through this as they are starting to feel their hormones, the spring is coming and they are maturing, he will be best left and will likely forget once he has been cut and settles down, the older ones will soon put him in his place if he gets too above himself.

Littlebear

Visit site
My colt was becoming a bolshy bugger before his mum left, really got quite full of himself, he only lives out with a herd of ages 1 to 3 year olds now and has lovely manners, they need to be put in their place by the others.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As above, turn him out with others & they will discipline him to a point & after a time he'll be a different horse plus you should see a difference when he's eventually cut.

TheMule

Visit site
A 10month old welsh pony shouldn't be stabled and certainly shouldn't be having rugs on, unless he has been ill?
Anyway, cut and out with a herd asap

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
lol, I wish Rambo had stpped rearing once he was cut. It was his favourite activity from the time he was a yearling. Managed to stop him doing it while led, by carrying a length of 3/4" pipe and whacking him above the knees when he went up. But whenever, wherever, he would grab the opportunity to get a better view. He wasn't castrated until he was 6 - and a year later I took him hunting for the first time. He reared whenever he had a chance! Luckily, he EVENTUALLY stopped so I was able to sell him - but it sure took a lot of work. I would be taking steps to stop him now - don't rely on 'the herd' discipline. He'll either win the fight, or develop his expertise!

Rambo at 3.

Rambo-loose-rear.jpg

And two practicing: at 2. The boy on the left is still a stallion - and WILL rear on the run-up to a mare, but otherwise fine.
colts-play4.jpg