How to store spare tack to stop it going mouldy?

becca1305

Visit site
Calling all tack hoarders ;)

I have a selection of tack thats currently being unused at the moment as it belonged to a horse that was sold, however I don't want to sell it/get rid of it as its all fully functional and my rising 4yo will start to be backed this summer so theres a good chance I will use some of it.

Is there a way to store spare tack to stop it going mouldy? Will giving it a good covering of leather balsam help or hinder, or neither?! Or is it simply a case of accepting it needs to come out regularly for a clean? Top tips in tack storing appreciated, thanks! :)

Spit That Out

Visit site
I've always stored mine after cleaning, dry thoroughly, rub with a cloth with leather oil or balsam and wrap in brown paper and keep it under my bed.
You can buy those little silica bags (you get them when you buy shoes, handbags etc) which absorb moisture if you can't store in your house.

Beausmate

Visit site
I wiped my tack with diluted Milton, as it was already mouldy, then put some Ko-cho-line on it and put it in a cardboard box (couldn't find any brown paper!) and now I have to find somewhere to put all the damned boxes!

I've heard that oil isn't good for leather.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Clean it thoroughly, let it dry in a dry, warm place. Smother in a good leather liniment/treatment like kocholine and store wrapped in greaseproof/brown paper or a clean towel or pillowcase (one that doesn't matter if ruined) and keep in a dry, warmish environment.

becca1305

Visit site
Thankyou for all the tips :). Shall give them a go! It is currently stored in tack room (in plastic box) which is cold (though not noticeably damp) so I will try storing it in the house instead :).

becca1305

Visit site
Ah do you also have a no horse stuff in the house 'rule'? ;). itchen I would definitely get murdered for! Thinking I will sneak it in somewhere in the spare top bedroom :D.