How to tell YO...

Lammy

Visit site
You’re leaving?
Going to preface this by saying I’m posting for a friend on here who doesn’t want to post herself for fear of YO seeing,not that we think she’s on H&H but there’s plenty of lurkers.

The short of it is, she’s leaving, she’s tried for 3 days to catch the YO and tell them they’re giving notice but they seem to be avoiding as there are rumours going around anyway that she was going to leave. Apparently they’ve done the same before and she said they take it personally when people say they’re going. It’s probably just coincidence but she says otherwise.

I’ve said to drop them a text to say she needs to talk to them but she thinks this will get a frosty reception?

What would you do if you couldn’t catch the YO to talk to them face to face? She’s baked them a cake too...I’ve told her to eat it.

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree with going to the house. I had the situation at my last yard, she ended up going on holiday so I just sent her a message. If she’s paid up then there’s not a problem in it unless she’s signed a contract saying otherwise

Reactions: DD

Annagain

Visit site
Attach a card to the cake tin (old Celebrations / Roses box if you don't think you'll get it back) and leave it at the door if she can't get to see the YO. Explain she's tried getting hold of her but as she hasn't managed it she's had to leave a note. Make it extra friendly and just explain it's nothing to do with the YO it's just that the yard no longer suits her / her horse's needs. If no mention after a few days, back it up with a phoncall / text.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Has she tried ringing?

If so, text or leave a voicemail saying she's tried to catch her over the weekend, but as she couldn't speak to her personally, she needs to let her know she's giving notice, thanks, see you soon [i have a cake for you/or not], bye..

Honestly it's a business transaction, neither party needs to be silly about it 😃

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I had the same situation as your friend. The YO wasn't aware I was leaving (hadn't told anyone before her!) but was very strange with her liveries making everything awkward. I tried calling, she didn't answer.

In the end I plucked up the courage to knock on her front door of her house and tell her. She didn’t answer even though she was home, so I waited until the next morning and I ‘conveniently’ got out of my car as she walked out her front door. I was very polite and straight to the point, thanked her for having me and my 2, gave her 4 weeks’ notice, only reason I left was I was offered stables outside my front door. She was nice and polite at the time but after that suddenly stopped talking to me and was extremely awkward.

I don’t regret moving one bit, best decision I ever made.

Lammy

Visit site
Thanks guys.

The gates to the house have been shut recently so she can’t get to the door to knock or leave a note. She has called but there’s been no answer although the reception in the old part of the house is apparently poor and she doesn’t want to keep trying and bugging them if they are ignoring the phone.

She’s sent a very very nice text explaining she’s not been able to see them in person and is hoping she’ll either get a reply or they’ll come out to see her when she’s there.

Equi

Visit site
Only ever done it once. It was by FB cause i had tried to get them but as a lot of stuff was going on i missed them each time (horses were still out 24/7 too so even less likely to see them) i would have preferred to catch them in person but needs must. We were amicable, and still are, but i don't know what they are saying behind my back and frankly don't care. Im happy and horse is happy :)

DD

Visit site
I'd go with the letter option and i'd send it signed for to make sure shes got it! meanwhile if I happened to see her i'd mention it anyway.

w1bbler

Visit site
For all those saying just do it, clearly not had barking mad yo's
Years ago I had to give notice at a yard I'd been at for 15 + years. No contracts but assumed a months notice was the reasonable thing to do.
Spoke to yo & she took it so badly I had to leave immediately 😯

Antw23uk

Visit site
For all those saying just do it, clearly not had barking mad yo's
Years ago I had to give notice at a yard I'd been at for 15 + years. No contracts but assumed a months notice was the reasonable thing to do.
Spoke to yo & she took it so badly I had to leave immediately 😯

Unhinged manic depressive with a shotgun .... it was not an easy day!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You’re leaving?
Going to preface this by saying I’m posting for a friend on here who doesn’t want to post herself for fear of YO seeing,not that we think she’s on H&H but there’s plenty of lurkers.

The short of it is, she’s leaving, she’s tried for 3 days to catch the YO and tell them they’re giving notice but they seem to be avoiding as there are rumours going around anyway that she was going to leave. Apparently they’ve done the same before and she said they take it personally when people say they’re going. It’s probably just coincidence but she says otherwise.

I’ve said to drop them a text to say she needs to talk to them but she thinks this will get a frosty reception?

What would you do if you couldn’t catch the YO to talk to them face to face? She’s baked them a cake too...I’ve told her to eat it.

I have heard this too from yard owners ignoring the livery *wrong*
Honesty is the best policy

depending on your contract I have copies of leaving letters from my liveries, they all vary due to circumstances, along the line

dear.....
please accept this letter as notice of my intent to leave the yard on this day ........
I have enjoyed being on the yard but now it is time to move on (reasons here)

Please give me a balance what I owe including and deposits i gave when arriving

Thankyou for making my time here enjoyable

I wish you all the best

signed .....

Post it through the letterbox job done

I have many variations.

Floxie

Visit site
I would have been happy to poke my YO in the eye when I left but instead I went to the door and gave my notice in person - I saw the frost forming in her eyes, but then I handed her a card and flowers and she warmed up pretty quickly :) I hope I never have to go back there but didn't want to burn any bridges.

Starzaan

Visit site
As an ex yard owner, just write it in a letter or card, and some chocolates or flowers don't go amiss either, but make sure to actually speak to them as you hand them over.

There is absolutely no need to flap about it, it's a business. I never had anyone leave my yard, but if they had I would have been sad to think that I hadn't provided the best livery service for them, and that may have made me look a bit down when I was told, but I wouldn't have had a problem with them in the slightest.

I did, however, have to ask an absolute whackjob of a livery to leave and that wasn't pleasant at all!

Reactions: D66