How to use/apply spurs when riding?

TequilaMist

Visit site
Oooh probably not much help but have always just use them when needed,meaning you don't keep them on horses side all the time and only if it didn't listen to my legs first instance but could be way off there.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Sorry to be boring, but if you are not sure, why are you using them?
Best to stick to leg aids (backed up by the whip if necessary) or learn how to use spurs under your instructor's supervision for safety.
S
smile.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
To be honest its hard to explain how to use correctly, it is best to get someone who knows what there doing to show you how to use them correctly if you wish to use them

gentle_giant

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be boring, but if you are not sure, why are you using them?
Best to stick to leg aids (backed up by the whip if necessary) or learn how to use spurs under your instructor's supervision for safety.
S
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I should have explained, I know how to use them, I am an experienced enough rider.

I was just dismayed at the weekend to see quite a few adults at a local show literally pony club kicking their mounts, while wearing spurs.

It just makes you wonder how many people actually know how to use them or just put them on thinking it will make the horse go faster!

I always thought the idea of them was to refine your aids and ask once rather than nag away at the horse, it seems not everyone agrees!
crazy.gif

gentle_giant

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
do you mean how do you physically move your leg to bring them into effect,
or how do you use them to infuence the horse?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first!
smile.gif

I was just saying, was very dismayed to see people pony club kicking their horses at the weekend whilst wearing them.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Nah, they're for jabbing lazy horses when you can't be a**ed using your (decorative) legs for fear of scuffing your new designer boots.
Watch the blood from the perforations doesn't stain now!
S
wink.gif

gentle_giant

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, they're for jabbing lazy horses when you can't be a**ed using your (decorative) legs for fear of scuffing your new designer boots.
Watch the blood from the perforations doesn't stain now!
S
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

I know if I acted like some of these women at the weekend, my horses would have me on the floor!

moneypit1

Visit site
I use the side of my leg and bring my spurs into play when I feel I am being ignored! The slightest of touches does the trick and I wear them very occasionally when out hacking to remind Fly I'm still there! Don't tend to use them for jumping as he doesn't need them.