How to WIN best turned out- help cheer a little girl up!

McNally

Visit site
My daughter has been excitedly looking forward to the local show now for about a year! We were firmly convinced she had a chance of being well placed this year show jumping (only a little show) but due to our ponies current situation she obviously cant go. I suggested she take my horse instead. So after a quick replan of classes as i dont think she'd get a 16.2IDX round a little course against speedy ponies we have gone for Best Turned out.
The poor kid really needs cheering up and a rosette would do that perfectly!
Tonight he will have his mane pulled and any trimming done, Saturday he will be bathed, plaited hoofs polished etc
I need your tips on how to make him stand out from the others?! We did the class with her own pony last year and got 4th which we were pleased with- it was a big class and i did pick up a few pointers so am not going into it as blindly as last time ;-)

Help us look amazing!

Gracie21

Visit site
Tack should be immaculate, everywhere! No snotty nose or weepy eyes :)
Make sure she doesn't get dirty, and polish her boots til they gleam, and make sure she has a big grin on her face too! :D

have fun!

McNally

Visit site
Her boots recently disintergrated so ive ordered new ones (please let them get delivered in time!) so they will look good.
Am going to buy new stirrup treads today.
Thanks Gracie! x

touchstone

Visit site
Agree with everything immaculate, and tidy hair makes a difference; neat plaits with ribbons with matching small buttonhole and tie looks nice; (not sure how old she is, otherwise a hairnet for longish hair.) and don't forget the gloves and cane. Also a wipe of baby oil around the horse's nostrils and eyes can help and you could use quarter markers for that added extra.

At the end of the day, just make sure she enjoys it though!

kirstykate

Visit site
He's bay?

I dont think i can do quarter markers if thats what your thinking! Never been to a show myself!

Oh yes you can inch wide comb hair spray and a body brush. Baby oil eyes and muzzle, not too much though. Baby oil tail makes it super shiny and if you want to really stand out mix some glitter in watered down gel hair spray.

McNally

Visit site
Fab tips- Thank you!
For the first time ever im feeling quite competetive myself!

Luckily he's a good boy and go's all sleepy having pamering sessions (minus the mane pulling!) so should enjoy it himself too!
We hoping he behaves as hasnt been anywhere in years!
On the other hand a child hanging off a big horse will catch the judges eye....

BYR

Visit site
As everyone else has said all tack spotless, and pony polished! These are a few things I remember from doing lots of showing as a child!

Quarter marks are easy do do with a nit comb in a diamond shape damp the hair first and secure with hairspray after. Then use a body brush for the sharks teeth and do a swipe round the tail for a neat finish.

Make sure you stitch plaits dont use bands

Make sure everything is in its keepers on bridle, stirrup leathers etc

Try not to use a numnah (sp) if the saddle fits ok without it.

Carry her to the horse if you can or make sure you polish underneath the boots before you go in the ring.

Put stirrups and treads in the dishwasher to bring them up sparkly!

Poke out the holes on your bridle that get filled with soap, cocktail sticks are good for this.

As someone else said matching hair ribbons to tie always looks nice on little girls.

Put some mens hair gel on the top of the tail and bandage - leave this on until the last minute and it will stay set for the class.

Baby oil on muzzle & under tail and a TINY touch round the eyes!

Hoof oil inside hooves stops the mud sticking and obviously oil the outside just before you go in.

Trim whiskers, fetlocks and ears also putting your arm under the tail at the top when you trim the bottom will get it straight.

Use a sticky roller to get last minute hairs from her jacket

If her riding hat is velvet covered hold over a kettle and brush with a soft brush to remove any grease.

Use chalk powder mixed with a touch of water to make a yoghurty consistency and spread liberally over any white areas the night before and allow to dry, brush of excess in the morning and any stable stains come off with the dust!

Will keep thinking but thats about everything I can remember for turnout!

Good luck :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
To add to the above- baby oil on chestnuts, I put oil on before going & again before class for really gleaming hooves.
Clean tack, & rub with an old t-shirt till it gleams. Metal polish on all buckles, d rings & stirrups. Put a big t-shirt & jogging bottoms on daughter till she gets on, and clean under her boots once mounted. Make sure in the morning you can touch the horse anywhere with white gloves & them stay clean. When you bath, once shampoo is on use a plastic curry to brush all over right to the roots of his coat, mane & tail so no dirt stays hidden. Then rinse, then I use cheap conditioner all over before rinsing again. Leaves coat nice & soft & helps repel dirt. And coat shine when dry.

Kat

Visit site
If she is too heavy to carry to the horse plastic covers (if you can't get those disposeable booties then shower caps, those you get with DIY hair dye, or just carrier bags will to the job) over boots until she is in the saddle.

frazzled

Visit site
Use a fresh flower for her button hole, I used to use a rose to match the ponies brow band. Judges always used to comment to my daughter how nice it looked. Also jodphur clips. Make sure bottom of boots are clean. Good luck and have fun.

sally2008

Visit site
All of the above and when bathing him pay particular attention to under the jawline, the knees and between the forelegs - these are the judges favourite areas to check for missed dirt :) Good luck, hope she does well.

SpottedCat

Visit site
This stuff on the hooves - dries to a great shine but doesn't seal the hooves and wears off after a few days in the field. I use the black stuff on my boy the night before an event so no danger of getting it all over everything and one less thing to do on the day. He has a couple of white patches on his feet and it covers those brilliantly!

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/_battles/absorbine_hoof_polish/index.html

ETA: mini pack of wet wipes in your pocket for any touchups just before you go in and in the line up before they get to you!

barnabizzle

New User
Visit site
trim the corners of her number so they're rounded rather than square and get a piece of thin ribbon the same colour as her jacket to use, tuck the ends of a bow into the jacket so you don't see it.

Capriole

Visit site
Id turn out to type. No glitter, quarter marks as suitable for type.

Plaiting thread is also good for tying on your number, avoid the awful plastic stuff they hand out.
Plait dont band.

wellwisher

Visit site
So, following on from this, what would be your tips or adjustments for turning out an 11yr old girl for her first WHP? She does hunt "properly" but is not overly keen on looking pretty herself but will spend hours on the pony. Any thoughts welcome for a very stressed and clueless mum!!

My sanity is at stake.... may even have to be brave and post this properly

Luci07

Visit site
So, following on from this, what would be your tips or adjustments for turning out an 11yr old girl for her first WHP? She does hunt "properly" but is not overly keen on looking pretty herself but will spend hours on the pony. Any thoughts welcome for a very stressed and clueless mum!!

A stiff drink...then it will all seem better!!

WHP is more workmanlike in presentation....how about pointing that she will be letting the pony down Iif her own turnout is not as good as his?!

be positive

Visit site

Tweed jacket, shirt and tie, no button hole, minimum of ribbons, everything tidy and clean but no need to go over board, much as you would for hunting.

Obviously the pony needs to be immaculate:)

Perfect-Piaffe

Visit site
Tell her to smile lots :) i always think the ones that are smiling and look like they are enjoying themselves stand out more! Good luck! X

wellwisher

Visit site
Thank you everyone - lots of great tips. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but seemed relevant in my panicked brain! Now, how acceptable is a hip flask for mothers..... :)

copper100

Visit site
All great tips, the only other thing I can add is a touch of baby oil on the plaits, just before going in and on a freshly washed mane.

Good luck..

Doris68

Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but she should wear a tie pin as I was marked down many years ago for not wearing one....oh and don't forget smart gloves. Good luck and keep smiling!