How to word advert for quirky mare?

Allie5

Visit site
I have a 15.3hh IDxWB mare here with me on short loan. Her owner has decided she can't have her back so I am helping her find a new owner/loaner for the mare. The problem I am having is that while talented (SJ 1.20m happily probably a good novice DR test in her and total XC machine) she is quirky and a bit funny to deal with. She is very much a one person girl, my OH can't catch her and my experienced friends can with patience and a carrot. She can be fairly dominant but has accepted me as herd leader so I can do anything with her. She will snap (very rarely makes contact and again doesn't do it to me) and stamp her front feet whilst making evil faces at strangers. If anyone who isn't "her" person tries to talk to or pat her she puts her ears back and moves away. Yet to me she's sweet and affectionate, she also was when her owner was "her" person. So I know in time she will accept the new person as "her" person (as long as they are confident and take charge of her) but how do I word that in an advert? She does not show herself well when people come to view her as she does her best evil faces and snapping at the air. Two of my friends are scared of her on the ground but love riding her! Am I better saying that she's quirky and wait until people ask or should I explain in the advert that she needs her own person ie no mother daughter shares (which is a shame as she'd be ace for that but I know she wouldn't be happy in that situation) I want to try to limit the number of people coming to see her as she finds it all so stressful. So really only the people I think understand how she is and are confident to try to get past the grumpy exterior. I very nearly didn't take her because of her attitude but I'm so glad I did! I love her to bits but I just can't keep her and want her to find the best home possible.
Oh to add she's brilliant to hack (best in company though) bath, farrier though she needs sedating to clip, she's excellent at shows being no different from home and loads/travels well in lorry or trailer.

Sheep

Visit site
Advertise her neutrally, include call for more info- include facts about her, what she does well. Then when people call about her you can tell them more about her quirks- if they are happy enough then invite to see her. If you feel they are unsuitable, be honest. You don't have to sell her to the first person who decides they want her if you aren't comfortable with doing so.

ThePony

Visit site
She sounds alot like my mare in personality!

I would say that she is a one person horse who takes confidence from developing a bond with her owner. Suggest not a novice owner as she requires confident and calm handling. Do point out though that when she is settled with you how good she is to do. In all fairness what you are describing really doesn't sound a problem unless someone wants to have her on a share or similar. I would imagine she is a smart cookie - if a new owner isn't clear then why on earth wouldn't she want to take the mick!

With her ability it sounds like you shouldn't have any problems, she really sounds a smashing mare!

After that then a chat with people on the phone should help avoid those who are less suitable.

lcharles

Visit site
This sounds exactly as my mare!! x

I'd put all her good points and when people call just explain that she prefers one owner and has a fantastic bond once she knows someone. Say she can be a bit mareish towards other people but has a fantastic temperment once that bond is there! x

My mare spun round in the stable with her ears back and snapped and the air when i went to look at her but i instantly knew she was the one for me!! x

Baby-G12

Visit site
Advertise her neutrally, include call for more info- include facts about her, what she does well. Then when people call about her you can tell them more about her quirks- if they are happy enough then invite to see her. If you feel they are unsuitable, be honest. You don't have to sell her to the first person who decides they want her if you aren't comfortable with doing so.

I agree - it is important not to be negative in ad as you will get no calls, then screen your callers, let them know what she is like, but do not undersell her. I have a few quirky horses, including one that is a bit of a one person pony, I do not think it is a bad thing you just need to find the right person.

Allie5

Visit site
I really don't want to put people off as she really is a fab mare if they give her a chance. I'll try wording it as nuetrally as possible but whilst still explaining that she needs calm confident handling. I'll describe her at her best and when people phone I can explain what is required to get the best out of her. If someone is still willing to give her a shot then at least they have fair warning of her evil faces! She takes about 3 weeks of consistent handling to settle down and then by 6 weeks she's a pussycat! I was sitting this morning on my grooming box in her stable rubbing her muzzle, cheeks and chin. You wouldn't believe it's the same horse!

Suziq77

Visit site
Ahhhh I also have one of these and she's my superstar pony! Include some wording to the effect that she would be looking for a confident competent owner. There will be someone perfect for her out there - as lots of us who have commented on this thread have said, mares like this are no problem at all for "their" people.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
My mare is similar to this, but only over feed, I can climb all over her and do her feet when she eats (couldn't when I first had her), but anyone else comes past she does her best dragon impersonation. She was advertised for loan, and I put along the lines of "is a novice ride, but needs confident knowledgeable handler as has her own personality" she's only up for share so I doubt the person will even have to see that side of her, and it didn't seem to put people off.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Could you say summinck like for e.g. "cracking little mare once she's got to know you, performs best in a one-to-one situation", or maybe words to the effect of ...." sensitive but talented little mare, needs a one-owner set-up to bring out her full potential", or something along those lines?

Good luck anyway. I think a lot of mares are better with a one-person situation; mine used to be at a big yard and quite a few mares just couldn't deal with it, whereas the "boys" coped fine. So I don't think its an unusual situation at all.

Kenzo

Visit site
Ditto Sheep.

Advertise her good points, point out that she’s needs a good knowledgable home/rider so no novices etc.
Get the phones calls in first, then when people ask more about her you can explain in more detail, people like to have something to talk and ask about when they ring anyway, gives both the seller and vendor an idea of whom you your talking to, level of experience, type of people they are etc rather than ringing and not having much of a conversation and going to view a horse you know baggar all about. :)