How would you have handled this?

Parkranger

Visit site
Right, went down the yard early to tack up and ride out (for first time on our own) before everyone else was turned out to save the hassle of him neighing at his mates and getting het up.

Get to the yard and rind out that pikeys have left their horses in the common behind us so we can't go out that way.....
mad.gif

So I decide to tack up and ride in the school. Big mistake!

I just couldn't get on him as the 'loose' horses were galloping up and down the fence, winding all our horses up and Ty just didn't know what to do with himself! Nothing nasty but I'm just not agile enough to hop up while he's jumping around and also don't think it's worth the battle (yet).

So I lunged him for 30 mins in the school (which was fun but he finally started listening to me) then I untacked and turned him out. He was very 'loving' in the stable as if butter wouldn't melt!
blush.gif

So, would you have done the same? I'm thinking it was just the other horses and all the excitement (remember he's only been there two weeks now) and it all got a bit much. Like I said, at no time was he dangeorous......

x

becca_chick

Visit site
Its was most probably the other horses, when ive been riding my horse ive had a few falls when others horses in the field next to us have had there wild moments, but its nothing to be worried about just wild behaviour, they dont mean to hurt anyone!

Irishcobs

Visit site
I would of done the same. I won't risk the fact he may over balance as I got on, or leap at the wrong moment and I fell off. Lunging is just as good as at least he was getting the exercise and you got him to listen to you.

Parkranger

Visit site
that's what I thought.....god, it's a nightmare coming back into riding, you're so unsure of everything and worry you'\re doing the wrong thing! I KNOW that I'll laugh at these insecurities by the end of the year.......I love the fact he's never dangerous though.

Makes me laugh how, being TB, he goes from 16.2 to about 19hh when he's fully upright and on his toes!! (ok maybe not 19 but you catch my drift!) x

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
tbh, it would have been the WRONG thing to fight... he's new, it was exciting, he had potential new friends who were having some fun.... fighting with him may well have reversed any bond you have thus far!

I think what you did was perfect!

Sal_E

Visit site
Yes, if this situation is a rariety then your approach is the best solution. However, if the horses are going to be there for weeks & you need to get it sorted, my approach would be to just lunge for the first few attempts, progress to lunge properly & ride for a short while, then to a short lunge & a proper schooling session (don't mount/ride without assistance initially). You should be able to get to the point of not lunging at all, but don't push your luck - only do this if you feel safe & in control.

Parkranger

Visit site
The loose horses are still there and the police don't want to know......going to go out riding with another person tomorrow so that he's not so het up about being on his own with all the fun!!!