How would you show this horse?

RubysGold

Visit site
I havent done any showing (other then an in hand class before I backed him so he could see what shows are)
But we are now going to have 5 shows a year at the riding school behind my yard so I'd like to have a go

I just don't know anything much about it. I'll learn a lot as I go but how would you show him

I have pulled his mane since this

Leo Walker

Visit site
It depends what classes they have but hes a coloured native type so feathers on, mane longer than usual but tidy. He should have a flat hunter bridle and you need to be in tweed.

jaffa2311

Visit site
I would not.

It depends on the reason for wanting to show him. If you are showing in order to be successful long term, then I would not.

He does not have enough bone/feather/substance/mane/tail to compete against true to type traditional show cobs. However, a local riding school show is a different kettle of fish and he may well be the best in the class!!!

windand rain

Visit site
Why not give it a go. He is a coloured native so needs to be shown with feathers and a shorter than traditional mane pulled to about 4or 5 inches feathers left alone but I am sure there are a few folk who could help you its not my field definitely tweed jacket though and brown tack if you have it. It is fun and who knows what could happen.

rara007

Visit site
He's a native so shouldn't have the feather hair or substance of a traditional. Mane about the length of a Welsh cob, tail about like that of a Connie to start with but maybe bring it up to Welsh length. Leave the feather below 1/2 way down the canons. Good luck!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would not.

It depends on the reason for wanting to show him. If you are showing in order to be successful long term, then I would not.

He does not have enough bone/feather/substance/mane/tail to compete against true to type traditional show cobs. However, a local riding school show is a different kettle of fish and he may well be the best in the class!!!

What an unpleasant post! OP has said that these will be RS shows, so it is most likely that the entrants will be RS ponies and others who live localy. It is unlikely that the shows will be affiliated to any of the recognised societies.
OP, he is a coloured native type, you . should look carefully at the schedules and see what you think he could do, maybe Family Pony, or WH pony.

Good luck!

SpringArising

Visit site
I would not.

She wasn't asking if she should show him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would not.

what a horrible reply! riding club shows are aimed at anyone with any horse to have a go so I would just go and enjoy yourself.

I just wanted to add that the ridden picture is really very good his looks like his going forward into a soft contact and your smiling and looking relaxed, and I am sure you will do very well I look forward to hearing how you got on :)

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I would not.

Charming reply, why don't you go the whole hog and say she should go get another horse with feathers and be a traditional cob.

NO ONE can't counter guess how well or not well a horse will do in a class, most showing is down to judges choice, Jeeze some people do speak with their mouth not their brains on here.

Ruby good on you, I do find some judges biased in what they like, I took my Palo into a showing show in hand coloured but they mixed odd colour and colour. 1 - 8 were show coloured cobs all coloured the rest of the class at the end. Waste of time entering with this judge but hey they are not all like that.

If he were mine I would def gets some tail whitener and even now start to wash it with absorbine to try get the stains out ready for showing also maybe a tail bag to try reduce staining when hacking or stable.

I would prob enter him in classes like family horse - and maybe coloured classes depending on how he is at shows maybe on concour to start with. Neaten the mane and maybe tail a fraction longer get a nice bridle for showing, one that will suit and show him off at his best. Maybe other members with coloureds could advice you on this, decided on your attire too - hat - jacket- jodpurs etc and maybe show cane if doing in hand class. Get your instructor to show you the best demo for you to do when judge pulls you out to look then sends you away to do a individual show for the judge which you can practice at home.

Last edited:

fabbydo

Visit site
As others have said, turn him out as a coloured native type. I hope you enjoy taking him and have a lot of fun together. The more experiences you can give him, the better. Versatile ponies are always easier to rehome (not that I'm suggesting you ever part with him!) and you might find something you really enjoy and want to take further. Try some dressage and jumping too. You could enter some online dressage if there aren't any on locally (try Dressage Anywhere). He looks very sweet. Have fun!