How would you?

Kallibear

Visit site
Poltice it up - most likey thing it is abcessing (if he's lame it most likely has already - a simple bruise shouldn't make them more than a little footy).

If it's a simple bruise, I'd expect them to be sound within a day or so. An abcess - lame until it bursts or resolves (a week or so)

AandK

Visit site
box rest on a deep bed and a bit of bute to ease the discomfort..
it all depends on how bad the bruise is and how sensitive the horse is as to how long it will take to come sound..

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Thanks for the advice folks. She has been lame for a week and the farrier said he was sure it was bruising. She was very tender on the stoney ground and her feet are really soft at the moment.
crazy.gif

She is not as lame as she was at all but is still not sound. the farrier said it could take three weeks which I thought seemed a bit long for a bruise. I have been feeding her arnica but will definitely try the poulticing. No chance of box resting her I am afraid as she HATES the stable with a passion. However she has a little paddock to go in.
Thanks for the help.
smile.gif
You're brill
grin.gif

AandK

Visit site
if she won't be kept in then try and keep her foot well padded when she is out to avoid making it worse, also try and keep the paddock as small as poss to discourage her from running around.! its good she is improving but if it is a bad bruise it will take a long time to come right, esp if the ground is hard.

given that she has been lame for over a week and is slightly better it is doubtful that she has an abcess but if you do poultice make sure its not for too long to avoid softening her foot as she is out in the field.
good luck
smile.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Asti went dead lame on one front when she was overtrimmed, and wasn't too happy on t'other front one... I was told best padding is go buy some cheap nappies (asda do 20 smart price ones for about £2) and make a pad for the bottom of the foot with that and duck tape it on, make sure its watertight.

Works wonders!

She should be sound again if its just a bruise, in no more than a couple of weeks as it should grow out.

You'll have to give her a hug from me. Might come and visit soon...
wink.gif

Marchtime

Visit site
Is she shod normally? A bruised sole can take a number of weeks to fully heal. My TB has very soft feet and flat soles and a few summers ago was lame for a month with a badly bruised sole - never any pus though.
If she is shod I'd recommend putting some gel pads on. They work wonders and protect the sole from further bruising. Whilst they aren't a cheap option I swear by them.
If she is bare foot I would keep the sole padded, as others have suggested.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
She is shod at the front and barefoot at the back. The foot she is sore on is the front shod foot, however when I trotted her up tonight she seems to be footy on the back one (same side) too?

Arrrghhhh horses!

wjgfred

Visit site
Hi,

I would poultice the foot, but be sure not to do it for too long with wet poultice as this will soften the foot. Bad brusing can take a long time to come out, especially if not visible (I am talking weeks here). It will become visible as it comes out and then you know exactly what you are dealing with.

If you must turn out I would put poultice on then vetwrap, then nappy on the top, then duct tape over all of it. Make sure it is not too tight though, (particularly around the leg) this does tend to stay on if your horse is not too wild in the paddock. I usually wet poultice for 12 hours then dry for 12 hours and dont do it for any longer than 3 days. By this time if you have seen no improvement then you probably need to speak to the vet to check it isnt anything else.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Thanks Wjgfred. I don't think Ellie has any inclination to loon about at the moment.

I have hot poulticed it tonight and will dry tomorrow and then maybe repeat the day after and see how she goes. if only they could speak eh? Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.