Howard Johnson loses his licence

Caledonia

Visit site
Disgusting man - he could have killed jockeys, never mind more horses. Not nearly long enough.

According to Howard (via ATR) he's 'stunned' at the ban. Me too - at how short it is..........:mad:

Wylie's also said that he's shocked that JHJ's been treated like a criminal. Really? Wilfully endangering horses and jockeys isn't a criminal action? :mad:

He's saying that he's now retired, but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Cant believe it, trainers involved in bettin scams warned off for life.

Because it now causes *im to retire I suppose t*ats justice. But a jockey could *ave been killed and imo its too lenient and sends out t*e wron* messa*e.

* keys not workin* sorry.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I was a bit surprised that the ban is not permanent, but then again, nothing really surprises me any more :eek:
How can you not know that running a denerved horse is wrong? Mind boggles.

I don't think HJ's career can recover from this, though, so it is some good news at least.

Spudlet

Visit site
I agree with this:

'“We are also dismayed that a trainer of Johnson’s experience and stature is pleading ignorance of the rules. Ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the rules but more importantly it’s no excuse for cruelty. Looked at another way we just need to apply a little simple common sense: how could anyone think it was acceptable to race a horse that was in so much pain it needed a neurectomy in the first place?'

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/information/latest-news?view=show&content_id=4579

Miss L Toe

Visit site
We don't know the pressures a trainer is under, but if they feel they have to win at all costs, they should get a job in Tesco's
I have no patience with any person who does a neurectomey, this is a last resort operation, and just confirms that the veterinary "profession" have no moral conscience

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have just read through the BHA report and quite frankly it is astounding. Astounding that both JHJ and the vet involved did not discuss the future of the horse (the horse was denerved due to persistent ulcerating corns) and also I find it astonishing the JHJ believed the feeling would come back!!
A thoroughly unpleasant obnoxious man who racing will be far better of without.
And I still think there was more to that robbery than meets the eye?

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Re ignorance: how is it that I, as a mere stable lad knows that there are certain rules regarding running horses, that all trainers must "sign up to" I think this person should be prosecuted and not allowed to own horses for the rest of his life.

martlin

I have just read through the BHA report and quite frankly it is astounding. Astounding that both JHJ and the vet involved did not discuss the future of the horse (the horse was denerved due to persistent ulcerating corns) and also I find it astonishing the JHJ believed the feeling would come back!!
A thoroughly unpleasant obnoxious man who racing will be far better of without.
And I still think there was more to that robbery than meets the eye?

Oh yes, he knew that he had the horse denerved, but didn't know it was called neurectomy, pmsl!
It definitely seems there is more to the case that meets the eye...
And, sorry, but retire? Just as well, cos I can't see how his career could go on after that little mishap :rolleyes:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I also had a bit of a"moment" when I saw he had £170k in cash in his "safe", and obviously some criminal elements knew about it.
I am a person who is able to look at a person, talk to them, and work out whether they are criminal or not, if criminal, I walk away.

Last edited:

MyBoyChe

Visit site
A colleague at work has just heard this on the radio and asked me why the owner and vet are not culpable or at least why they would not speak up when they knew what had been done to the horse and saw it declared to run! Im afraid I could not answer him :(

proudwilliam

Visit site
Re Howard Johnson said he did not know it was illegal ???My question to the owner is What was stated on the bill from the vets regarding the proceedure? Surely the vets would have known it was illegal so all the parties are guilty in my eyes.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have just tried to complain about the vet, but so far without success, as far as the staff are concerned, too bad.
The owner is not " a fit and proper person" and should also be banned.

I think that is a bit harsh, I am pretty sure in a large yard like that there is a structure of responsibility, I am not talking about head lad/assistant trainer level, I mean the poor young girls and boys 'living the dream' doing 3 horses a day. Who don't get consulted or informed on what is happening (and if they did, it's unlikely it would mean anything to them).
Also if you read the BHA report the vet assumed the horse would be retired by the sound of things.

martlin

By all means I can't see why the vet would not perform neurectomy... it's a procedure that enables a horse to be pain free in retirement, which is fine by me.
And neurectomy is not illegal, running a horse which had the op is. HJ's argument was that he didn't know that de-nerving = neurectomy, thus didn't know that he can't run the horse :rolleyes:
I agree with BB, though, the poor staff are coming out worst off :( I hope they find good jobs very soon.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I think that is a bit harsh, I am pretty sure in a large yard like that there is a structure of responsibility, I am not talking about head lad/assistant trainer level, I mean the poor young girls and boys 'living the dream' doing 3 horses a day. Who don't get consulted or informed on what is happening (and if they did, it's unlikely it would mean anything to them).
Also if you read the BHA report the vet assumed the horse would be retired by the sound of things.

Poor kids, three horses per day, they are lucky, I worked for a well known trainer in the West Country [ made £250,000 in winnings, and we had to do four each, eight on a Sunday, one old guy mucked out 29 in a morning, and thought he has done well, then was told to do another twenty in the afternoon.
If anyone works for a trainer and does not know what is going on they would be better off in Tesco';s
The vet assumed the horse would be retired "by the sound of things". what else would he say in his defence, that he assumed the horse would be retired after he had run in eight races, but before he broke a leg?
The BHA and all that lot make sure that kids are well paid, though some trainers are will able to say "well I did not know that they had to be paid overtime"
Well I am not convinced, the welfare of the horses is paramount, and as soon as we forget that it is all downhill.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Life isn't always that black and white, I have worked for some very large companies that have done some very underhand things and got away with it, but when it is your job and you have bills to pay (or in this case your home too) then you don't have much choice.
Correct, and you move on as soon as you can.
As far as I am concerned the welfare of the animal is paramount, and once we deviate from that, there is no limit to the excuses.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Poor kids, three horses per day, they are lucky, I worked for a well known trainer in the West Country [ made £250,000 in winnings, and we had to do four each, eight on a Sunday, one old guy mucked out 29 in a morning, and thought he has done well, then was told to do another twenty in the afternoon.
If anyone works for a trainer and does not know what is going on they would be better off in Tesco';s
The vet assumed the horse would be retired "by the sound of things". what else would he say in his defence, that he assumed the horse would be retired after he had run in eight races, but before he broke a leg?
The BHA and all that lot make sure that kids are well paid, though some trainers are will able to say "well I did not know that they had to be paid overtime"
Well I am not convinced, the welfare of the horses is paramount, and as soon as we forget that it is all downhill.

Calm down dear!
There is a huge difference between a 'yard man' and a stable lad/girl. A yard man would not likely be subject to union rules, and I am the first to admit a bit of hard work never hurt anyone, but the rules were put in place to ensure horse welfare.
Re: the vet, I was adding my supposition, that is not what the vet is quoting as saying.