Howling cat

KautoStar1

Visit site
My elderly cat howls at night, at random times. But only at night. other than the odd howling, he seems in reasonable health, for his age (17). he eats and drinks and takes himself out to the loo, gets up and down the fences and around the garden OK, if a little slower. But he's become a howler. And when he howls its enough to wake the dead. Any ideas ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
In older cats I believe this can be a sign of dementia. One of ours used to sit staring at a wall, when he started to yowl we had him PTS. I hope you can hold that off for a while.

HashRouge

Visit site
Our old girl would do this in the year or so before she died. We thought it might be to do with her going a little bit senile - though like yours she seemed in otherwise good health. She would do it at random times for no obvious reason, and yes it was rather blood curdling! It wasn't a particularly regular thing though.

Theocat

Visit site
My young male cat howls before a poo (he certainly isn't constipated or struggling) and when he has a hairball just about brewed to perfection.

No idea what either is about. He just gets shouty before expelling solids from either end :p

tiahatti

Visit site
My dear old cat started howling when she went deaf. She adjusted & stopped doing it after a while. Wondered if your cat has hearing trouble?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Possibly dementia my old cat started this at 16 after her sister died of thyroid disease. She lived another 2 years though before some sort of bladder issue meant she had to be pts. However you might want to have thyroid checked to see if that is functioning ok although weight loss and increased appetite are usual signs. Also kidney disease is common and might cause yowling. Blood tests would show up both of these and could have a possible course of treatment.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Sorry for late reply, thanks for the responses. No new stresses that I am aware of, although possible new cats in the neighbourhood could be a reason. He doesnt appear deaf, certainly comes to his name and watches the tv, alert to birds etc and knows where he is, so dementia seems unlikely too. He seems to have all his faculties still. I think i will get some bloods done to check kidney and thyroid functions. He has lost a little weight but eats well. I put that down to old age but maybe its more. I can't link the howling to anything specific in his environment or a change in his usual behaviours. He just sleeps more as you would expect at that age.
Interestingly I let him sleep in my room, on the bed, last night and he didnt stir all night, just getting up a little before me to go down for a wee. Maybe he is looking for more attention. The younger kitten (now 15 months) is quite a demanding character. He mainly ignores him and is used to living in a multi cat household with no issues. All 3 of them rub along OK as far as I can see. Maybe its a physical thing then.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Howling can be a sign of dementia or hyperthyroidism as has already been said, so you're doing the right thing by taking him to the vet and getting his bloods run. Our late cat Amber started howling before she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and she seemed to be dazed and confused. Once she was on her meds she reverted back to somewhat normal.

With yours I would say it is a good idea in the meantime to give him as much fuss as he wants as he may find it reassuring to be around you if he is going a bit doolally. Let us know how you get on with the vet!