Hows my 2.5 year old looking? overweight? just right?

lialls

Visit site
Alright guys

I'm a little concerned that my 2 and a half year old is carrying a little too much weight. Shes looked a little porky since the end of the summer but i just kept thinking that she would lose it over the winter but its not budging! Her mother was quite big built but i cant even feel boots' ribs. Heres some picture of her tonight. What do we think?

PICT0017B.jpg

PICT0022C.jpg

Burnttoast

Visit site
They aren't great photos tbh but in the second one in particular she looks pretty tubby. And since you can't feel her ribs I think you've answered your own question! I would want to see some weight off her before the spring - which isn't far off if this mild weather continues.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I'd say overweight too. Second pic in particular makes her look really quite fat, especially her neck. I know only too well how hard it is to keep chunky ones light! Gorgeous looking horse though.

Cheiro1

Visit site
The seconds pic especially makes her look very porky. Would want to see quite a bit off her before spring. sorry!

lialls

Visit site
Sorry i know pictures arn't good but there all i've got of her at the mo.

She has 2 sections of hay at night and is out all day at grass

As shes only young im not too sure how to get the weight off her unless i just reduce her hay? OR grazing muzzle when shes out?

lialls

Visit site
I do walk her in hand and also do some light long reining but can only do that at the weekend as its dark when i see to her through the week.

I kind of knew when i got her that she was always going to need a strict diet but all she has to eat is 2 sections of hay at night and grass in the day. Didnt think she was going to be that much of a porker! lol.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Sorry i know pictures arn't good but there all i've got of her at the mo.

She has 2 sections of hay at night and is out all day at grass

out?

On what kind of grass? Scrubby and poor or rich dairy type? Our grass is still growing, with the weather being so warm. If it's good grass, you may have to strip graze, if you can.

lialls

Visit site
I'd say its good grass, not as good as dairy but on its way there, its an organic farm. Its short and thin on the ground. Its starting the get pretty wet with us now and field is getting churned up. I can ask yard owner about moving her to a fatty paddock.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes agree she is a little porky, lovely though. you say 2 sections of hay but that can be quite a bit, i would weigh it when dry and soak for a few hours to get some of the goodness out of it....as a guide my 15.2, 20 year old gets 10 lbs hay a night in a small hole haynet . she goes out at about 10 and comes in at 4pm and is fed a small haylage net at 8am before being ridden, any haylage which is over she also has for the night. she is well covered but i am happy that she is not gaining any...

FairyLights

Visit site
my yearlings are the same. its so mild at the moment they arnt using up any fat to keep warm. Do you rug her? if so remove the rug and turn her out naked.

becca1305

Visit site
Id probably opt for considering derugging her if she's rugged and if possible, either a layer or completely depending on what she's already in. Id also personally rather soak hay than reduce the quantity since she's not on a lot to start off with and I would imagine she's the type that tries to gobble, so that way she may take longer picking and so not have an empty belly for a long period of time which isn't good for them. I can imagine how difficult it must be though owning one of those horses people describe as being able to live off air! she is a beauty however :)

CalllyH

Visit site
I'd say derug or very lightweight rug. That fat will keep her warm. I know cob types that were out all last winter in the snow with no rug on and came out of the winter looking fab and did them no harm

lialls

Visit site
Shes in a rain sheet (no fill) in the day as she got rain scald last winter (but lived out 24/7 last winter, unruged, little feed and 2 haynets a day, came out if winter looking bril apart from the rainscald). I think as its so milld i will remove it on dry days, its not like some rain is going to hurt her anyway. I totally forgot about soaking hay! Will start that tomorrow then. Thanks for the tips guys. Can see that shes going to be on a strict diet all year round! Never had one that lived off thin air before! I've usually had the poor dooers so this is a bit of a change lol. Thanks again guys.

EstherYoung

Visit site
You have my sympathies - Wolf (same age) is the same. He's deflated a bit since late autumn but still looks a tad too well. And he's out 24/7 with no hay, no feed, and no rug.....

I'm not too concerned about him for the winter, as there is wet/cold weather on the way, but I think he will be starting to long rein come spring.

ISHmad

Visit site
She also looks like she's going to have quite a growth spurt as looks very bum high in the photos so with a bit of luck that will help use up some of the weight to grow. Our youngster is out 24/7, naked and still too roly poly. Lots of hill walking coming up for him soon.

lialls

Visit site
Thanks guys.

ISHmad I have been waiting for her to have a growth spurt but its taking its time coming.

I'd really have perfered for her to be out 24/7 as well but yard rules don't alow it currently. She can go back out at night at the end of March. And it looks like she will have to have restricked grazing over the summer then as well :)

Elfen

Visit site
Starting a bit of long reining won't do her any harm - we've just started with my two and half year old - he seems to be just right weight wise - he's out on dry days with no rug, but is rugged when it's wet as he too suffers from rain scald.