Hugo visited Devon County Show

SpottyTB

Visit site
Well, we went to Devon County with Hugo :). We left Wednesday late morning, Hugo walked straight up into the box (not been in or near a lorry since July '14), travelled for 3 hours beautifully (didn't hear a peep from him, well a part from a little whinny to some cows...). He unloaded calmly the other end and went into his box beautifully, it was like he'd been there all his life! He was a little shouty for the first few hours but i think that was due to the other stables not being full already and he was one of 3 in two isles so not much company!

We later walked him out around the horse area and he was very calm and collected, even went in the warm up ring for a trot around in hand - he was super considering there were riders cantering around him - a good learning experience for him! We popped him to bed with a feed and went to find food and a cider - checked him later and he was sound asleep!

He was entered in to the Hunter 3yo colt/gelding class, and although it's been the right class for him at royal cornwall/stithians, it wasn't right this year and this far up the line. I was thrilled with him, he stood for me to plait him up and faff around plaiting fake plaits into his forelock and mane (rubbish rubbed out mane).. He behaved beautifully both in and out of the ring, did everything my fiance asked of him and stood to wait when needed.

We were in a class of six, and he was probably the smallest in height and weight... The winner must have been about 17 hands and was the size of an elephant ( it was HUGE - can only think it was a Irish draught - but scary to think it was 3.. it could have been 8 or 9 to look at). In all fairness Hugo just wasn't as heavy as the others but In a way, i'm not fussed because he went in, he behaved and now i know that when he is under saddle, he'll go into a riding horse class!

Anyway, i'm thrilled with our 5th place and thrilled with how he behaved, it was like he'd always been there and was a pro at showing when actually it was only his 2nd stay away show and his 4th ever show :). Fiance asked if perhaps Hugo would have been more suited to a sports horse class and she simply replied "maybe" before walking off! Bit frustrated as we pay so much to go and would have loved some feed back so we can improve! IT was mentioned by some other people that show that he should have some more weight on... I am just a bit wary of over weighting his joints, he's 16.1 (warmblood) and has always had big joints... don't want to knacker them at 3!

Some photos..
Devon%20county_zpszaezznjp.jpg

upclose_zpsayjbrz1q.jpg

trot%20photo_zpsrj7t2pxe.jpg

Hugo%20headshot%20DC_zpszhdjlhgu.jpg

Sorry if they are huge :).

muckypony

Visit site
Fantastic photos and sounds like a great day :)

To me he looks perfect, he isn't in 'show condition' but I personally don't like a fat horse! I would be doing the same as you and not wanting to knacker him at 3.

Sounds like a great experience for him and he is gorgeous!

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Sounds like a great success lovely that he is so well behaved and he looks great. I don't show but think he looks perfect weight wise. Hate seeing fat youngsters

dixie

Visit site
I think he looks great and fantastic about how well he was behaved. Well done. Really don't understand why show horses have to be so fat.

catroo

Visit site
He does look great but definitely more of a riding horse/sports horse than a hunter.

By three the heavier breeds/types really start deepening and filling out, I was quite surprised how different a scrawny ID looked at two compared with how he looked a year later.

All good experience for him though

Visit site
He looks fab! But yes, for a 3yo hunter he does need loads more weight on. In the long run you are doing the right thing and you will have a competition horse well into his teens. You may just need to accept that it will be another couple of years before he stands at the top of the line at big county shows.

In- handyoungstock is a great education for the beasts!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Last year he ended the season winning his hunter class and becoming reserve champ, the judge loved him and he judges at the supreme hunter show :), so we have had our time at the end of the line in the ribbons.. I think he'd have done better in a RH/sports horse class.. this being said, last year he was weedy in may, come June/July he was twice the size.. the one above us (which was originally put below us) was only about an inch taller and no heavier in bone.. but had a lot more weight on him and once he was up close she realised he was a heavier than ours.

Thanks for all your positive comments, he's entered in Royal cornwall and stithians again - too late to change entry now, but both those shows are quieter and last years 3yos weren't quite as big as the ones at DC.. so you never know :)... but it is fab experience which is why we're doing it! I want him to last well into his teens, and personally, as pointed out by a vet to us, a lot of those 3yos wont be here under saddle at 8 because they are knackered!

:D

PorkChop

Visit site
He is looking fabulous :) really well done on the placing and lovely to see a youngster being shown with just the right condition :)

minesadouble

Visit site
I agree he looks fab! I certainly wouldn't write him off as a hunter yet - I'll bet by the time he's 6 he's a different horse and could still end up a lightweight hunter. Whatever he ends up as he's a lovely horse.

Supertrooper

Visit site
He looks fab and especially love his ears :)

Personally I think he looks great and in H&H each week I always think the winning horses/ponies look way too fat!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thank you :), funny you should say that minesadouble (love your name btw lol!) the watched the 4yo hunter and could see him in that class - but i won't as i'm taking a year out of the showing scene, he won't be ready at four so not rushing it. I'm not a fan of showing - hence why my OH does it with him :).. so he may never enter a ring again after this season ... time will tell ;p! I love him, and he certainly seems to catch peoples eye! :)

SpottyTB

Visit site
He looks fab and especially love his ears :)

Personally I think he looks great and in H&H each week I always think the winning horses/ponies look way too fat!

Thank you ST - it's funny, i don't even notice his ears... they seem normal to me ;p!! Yep I agree, the wrong image has been projected into what is seemed "show" worthy.. but there we go!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Love the head shot, he's gorgeous. Stick to your guns and when he's had time to mature he'll do you proud.

I loathe seeing overweight youngsters and would far rather be down the line having a nice day out for experience than risk damaging long term health.