Human clippers

dwi

Visit site
I know that you're all going to able to give me a good reason. Why can't I use human clippers that I shave my husbands head with to do my horse? It seems ridiculuos that ones for horses are ten times the price.

Daisy is good to clip and only needs a simple trace clip, nothing fancy.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I use human clippers to trim my shetties beard and the work fine, but i know someone years ago that tried to clip her cob out with some and it took her a week and now the horse has to be sedated to be clipped!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Horse clippers are generally more heavy duty to cope with thicker, coarser, dirtier hair. However no reason why you couldn't use your horse clippers on the husband!!!
grin.gif

parsley

Visit site
I use human clippers to do my boy's heels when I hog him out. Quite frankly they really don't cope well with it - they sort of chew rather than cut.

AlexAndJess

Visit site
I used mens clippers to clip my pony (who at first was very nervous of loud buzzing clippers) and completed a full clip on her! Later managed to get hold or horse clipped which she is now great with
laugh.gif
It is possible!

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
. However no reason why you couldn't use your horse clippers on the husband!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
PMSL!!!!!!

Human clippers just wouldnt stand up to it, my OHs are very good make but wouldnt even get through my rabbits fur, let alone a horses.

Zebedee

Visit site
In one respect I have to disagree with the others here! I use human hair clippers for trimming feathers, beards, ears whiskers & tidying up a hog, and have never had a problem. The blades for the Dublin horse trimmers & the Remmington hair clippers are exactly the same!
However i_I would NEVER attempt to clip with them because they will clip FAR TOO CLOSE without a guide comb, and the number one comb isn't close enough. Plus as someone has already it would take forever, even if you were only doing a trace. If you think of human hair clippers as being the equivalent of horse trimmers you have the answer. They can be used on horses as trimmers, but not clippers.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
A 3mm comb on a trimmer is the same as an A2 blade on a set of mains Clippers.

As AlexandJess said, it is possible to do it with a set of human trimmers, but it takes an age, and you will likely knacker the trimmers by the end of the job.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure the coat is clean before you start and oil the blades with 3 in 1 every 5 to 10 minutes to help keep the blades cool and they will stay sharp for longer.

An indicator is in the power consumption of them.
I bought a set of Scherma people trimmers from Argos last year to play with for about £30.
They were mains powered and classed as 'high performance' with a ceramic top blade and consume 12 watts. They carry a warning NOT to run them for more than 20 minutes, and when they go blunt, they will end up in the bin as there are no servicable parts on them.

The Heavy duty chord/chordless Trimmers I carry by comparison have a 60 minute battery life, and have replaceable cool running blades which are very sharp, and have been designed as robust animal trimmers with longevity in mind. They surprisingly also have a fair bit more go in them than the mains powered people ones I've got.

The mains Horse clippers I am carrying start at 110 watts and go up higher in the range to 400 watts.

They have a lot of get up and go, but come with a noise penalty which can jangle the nerves of some horses.

clipclop

Visit site
On topic but not any help what so ever,,but,,,,

I bought a set of Liveryman trimmers once, when I opened the box I was a tad disappointed to find that the Liveryman sticker was covering up a Remington stamp.
I looked in Argos and found the exact same trimmers for about £30 less!!!!

So horsey trimmers are basically human clippers.

Would it be easier to pay someone to do the clipping for you? Save you spending out on those expensive Clippers?
smile.gif

Cheers
C x

dwi

Visit site
Thank you all, i assumed that there was a very good reasons but didn't want to blindly pay out without asking the question.

I probably will pay someone to clip her come autumn but in the long run I'll have to buy some because she's a hairy little beastie and when i step up her level of work to competing next spring she'll probably need clipping all year round.

clipclop

Visit site
When you do invest in Clippers. Look after them and they will last for years and years
smile.gif

Friends of mine have picked them up cheaply second hand and have sent them to somewhere like Clippersharp for a full service just to check they aren't going to electricute their horses.
tongue.gif

Cheers
C x