Humpy puppies ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Basil, daughters puppy is 4.5 months and Cecil is 10 weeks.
they are much the same size and play madly which is lovely. Basil is constantly trying to hump Cecil though!
I know it’s all normal puppy behaviour but do I just leave them get on with it?! Cecil just tears round play fighting and seems not to care but he’s having his bits licked or being pinned down and humped from any and every direction ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Tell him not to/make him stop, or it'll be your soft furnishings and legs next and/or it'll turn into a fight once the younger pup gets up a bit.
Thanks! Will do, he’s not here all the time thank god. I don’t think I’d handle it ?
I wasn’t sure if I should be continually telling him off for it or if it’s just a way of puppy play. I’ve never had two together before.
Daughter said he has been doing it a lot, including trying on people. She’s planning to get him done but he’s not old enough just yet. I don’t think that’s a definite end anyway thought I’d it?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No it won't, surgery is no substitute for training and she needs to stop being a bystander. Things that are funny and cute when they are puppies soon become annoying in adults. If he is doing it a lot, has been allowed to and doesn't know it's unwanted behaviour, that's not his fault.
No quite, I’m not finding it amusing while he’s small tbh but as I say wasn’t sure if I was being a bit precious and would be told to let them be puppies and it was harmless.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
To me it means that the play has become too stimulating and over-energised and it's time for a time out. I would be intervening before it gets to that point and teaching them to be quiet together and how to focus on humans when around each other. I think dogs playing with other dogs is always potentially fraught and care needs to be taken as to what you allow. You can create a play "junky" who can't resist tanking up to other dogs or becomes so stimulated by other dogs that they become reactive and potentially aggressive. I let my boys play a bit when the Sprollie was a puppy but intervened and distracted a lot if the energy/arousal stated ramping up. They are both completely uninterested in other dogs now, though they enjoy each other's company they do not play rough and communicate with each over boundaries and resources very well.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m beginning to see daughters pup as an issue. I adore the little chap but it’s hard work when he’s here.
On the plus side I hear from her friends how well behaved and easy he is when she stays at other peoples houses, mostly dog free. He just seems to go into over drive here.

Clodagh

Visit site
This is not what I want.
I’d make sure there is a cage or quiet place he can go. If he really is being a nuisance he could maybe be on a trailing lead and when he gets overstimulated gently pulled away with a ‘no’ or ‘stop it’ or whatever. Then get him to sit quietly for a few minutes then into cage with Kong/chew/treat.
I never use the cage as punishment so breaking go the ‘no’ and prison cycle it can hopefully be a place of calm and rest. He is a Poo I think? They tend to the excitable IMO.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks, he’s a Yorkie x Chihuahua.
He has a cage upstairs in her room and I have taken him up and popped him in it for a time when he’s getting too much.
This is one of the things I’m a bit unsure about though, I know the cage isn’t punishment and not to be used as “your naughty so getting shut in” but.. although hers is 100% overnight and go’s up himself and puts himself to bed sometimes so is happy to be in it, he screams the house down if he gets put in in the needing to calm down situation. Even with toys/food. So to me this seems like punishment as he’s so miserable, do I ignore that or what?

Clodagh

Visit site
Can the cage come downstairs?
Or sit with him for a minute while the adrenaline fades?
I must be honest, I’d put him in the cage and let him deal but I don’t think that’s what you do now ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ideally you would put him in a cage downstairs as he is going to feel its punishment being away from everyone do you have a cage for yours? as you only want all to calm down yours could go in the cage with some treats or a filled kong just until its all calm again...my 10 month old can be a bit rough with my woosie boy terrier who is 4 years old and i keep an eye on them and stop her if she is getting too much for him. they are both the same size and she can get over excited. maybe put the trailing lead on your daughters and correct him when he is humping.. my boy terrier did do a bit of humping when he was about 10 months i was told that it was a dominance thing not sure if that is right but it completely stopped once he was neutered..

HoundFan

New User
Visit site
I have puppy now 12 months and puppy aged 4 months - the yearling has never shown any undesirable behaviour in front of me, but my dog sitter reported he was trying to hump younger pup in front of her. I told her to reprimand older pup accordingly.

behaviour stopped accordingly, older pup has still never done it in front of me.

They really do know what they can get away with.....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have 2 crates available downstairs and when play gets to be too much for you, put them both into a crate (one each) to calm down, with something like a chew toy to concentrate on.. Then neither will see it as a punishment.

I do remember when the Rotters were about 6 months old, they were wild, so we put them into their crates and R. was so cross that she ripped up all the newspaper that lined the floor into tiny pieces. We tried very hard to ignore her without laughing.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ok, I’ll do that. Her crate upstairs is a furniture type, wooden back and top so can’t bring it down but I have a small one that I’m currently using for Cecil in my car. It comes in and out so can use that.
Cecil has a larger one in a utility room with my older dogs, so could put the 2 side by side.
He was here Thursday night and I think he started to get the message already!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would have 2 crates available downstairs and when play gets to be too much for you, put them both into a crate (one each) to calm down, with something like a chew toy to concentrate on.. Then neither will see it as a punishment.

I do remember when the Rotters were about 6 months old, they were wild, so we put them into their crates and R. was so cross that she ripped up all the newspaper that lined the floor into tiny pieces. We tried very hard to ignore her without laughing.
A Rottweiler is OH’s dream! One of our neighbours has one, he is just the most lovely person. He wanted me to look at them this time round but the practicalities of taking a tiny dog v a big one to work with me won.
I think that’s the way he will go for his next buddy though (not for ages yet!)