Hundreds of Thousands of Scottish Lambs to be slaughtered and burnt

reynold

there isn't any grass left because they haven't been able to move the animals for so long due to foot and mouth

it is terribly sad and what a waste that they cannot even feed africa with the meat - I think that somehow the rules should be 'overlooked' so that Darfur or similar could be given the meat

kill and freeze carcasses and get them shipped by Oxfam ?

I don't know but it seems such a waste all round

Morrigan_Lady

Yea, but cant they feed them up on something else other than grass? Dont they have sheep food!!
I agree with you though, surley can use the meat for Afria or something like that.

reynold

pig food - last year 4.93 - this year 5.95

so nope - the farmers cannot afford to feed them with 20% price increases on feed due to the rotten summer - and watch out - horse feeds are similarly going up in price (and even if a bumper harvest next year they won't come back down again you can be certain of that !!) so livery prices will be bound to go up - what with hay being a mix of good/crap and short by next spring

Orangehorse

Normally the carcases are exported, but no exports allowed because of F & M.

"Given away free to poor families" - I bet the supermarkets wouldn't like that!

In normal times all these lambs would have been off the hills by now, but again because of F & M the markets were stopped, so all these extra sheep are eating up all the winter grazing/fodder.
This is a once a year income for the hill farmers, so they will have run out of money by now (not having any since last autumn).

Also they would have only made or bought winter fodder for the amount of animals that are normally kept. Like you having 2 horses, and then suddenly having 6 to feed through the winter and no way of buying more feed or selling them.

I can't understand why DEFRA haven't realised all t his and got something organised sooner.

mon

can't even get lambs into abbatoir in the midlands and if you can it is for peanuts, don't blame farmers blame the govt for another cock-up and no help for farmers all they want is a concrete jungle.