hunt sabs, animal lovers?????????

winterhorse

Visit site
finally had 5 mins to read OH hounds mag, when came across the news page, reporting that sabs have started going out with the French hunts. One such incident reported that a hound trailer was held up in sweltering weather for 4 hours, with a hound dying from the heat. :mad:
remind me why these people are doing this.

also know this has been touched on before but also mentioned the videoing of minors at meets.
under section 5 of the 1986 Public Order Act, REASONABLE steps can be taken to obstruct those videoing minors without consent.
as a mother myself this is of great importance to me, you have to sign a consent form to film at the school play so why should they be filmed by some one else????

ISHmad

Visit site
Everyone has the right to disagree with hunting, just as people have the right to support it. But I couldn't agree more that the sabs, animal rights people et al might think they are saving a fox with their protestations but time and time again have been known to cause harm to horses and dogs. So much for all creatures great and small. They do their cause actually no good at all and jeopardise animals and people in the process.

Fairynuff

Visit site
. One such incident reported that a hound trailer was held up in sweltering weather for 4 hours, with a hound dying from the heat. :mad:

The French hunt in the 'sweltering heat'!!!!!!!!!! As far as Im aware, the French hunting season, boar or fox, is much like that of the English season-autumn/winter/early spring. Are you sure? M.

Reginald

Visit site
winterhorse, I'm an "anti" but tend to agree with you. I wouldn't like people to video a child of mine and I can't stand sabs who intimidate horses/hounds. There are better, more responsible ways to voice a protest.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well whilst I agree sabs are a pain, I am also sure most of them keep within the law, and express their opinions sensibly. Its very sad that some sabs have given the rest such a bad name, I can recall some sabs unbricking our hound trailer and letting the trailer roll down the street, not causing any damage and no hounds were in, but I'm sure their intensions were to damage something. It is really rather sad, whatever happened to a healthy argument, without people stooping so low. It is like those kennels which were set on fire, disgusting behaviour, and much lower than the animal murdering scum they portray use as...

molehill

Visit site
Reginald,I totally agree with you......I love going hunting to the point of being obsessed(it is my life),but beilieve that people have a right to protest about different things.Considering "antis" are animal lovers,they dont really give a thought for animal welfare.Alot are just out for trouble,and violence.They could protest in abetter way and probably their voice would be listened to.

oakash

Visit site
Not sure that we should all be so nice in commenting about antis being free to protest etc etc. Remember these people are extremists. WE say they should have the right to protest, but THEY say we should NOT have the right to hunt.

Shoot first and ask questions later is my motto!

JessDoesItBetter

Visit site
it is by far an over generalisation to say that antis are extremists. im an anti and almost everyone i know (outside of the horse world) is an anti and none of us are extremists. It's not about saying that you dont have "the right" to hunt, we just simply disagree with the act, and in MOST cases it isn't a personal attack on the pro hunts.
i can totally see the pro hunts point of view and i am not going to be dogmatic with my oppinions, but i stand by my right to be an anti hunt and believe that i am as free to protest as you are to hunt.

winterhorse

Visit site
the point i am trying to make is not you expressing your opinion, it is the way sometimes that it is done. i.e allowing hounds/horses to become injured, whilst trying to say we are being cruel to another. since when is using a hunting horn to call hounds onto a road, not putting them in danger, or using pepper spray in their faces, to throw them off the scent not harmfull??

JessDoesItBetter

Visit site
That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable and completely defeats the object of what they are trying to achieve. Unfortuanatly in all aspects of life you get extremists (looatics to put it into better words) who end up causing unfair steriotypes to imerge, and end up getting so worked up they foget the objective and become detrimentle to themselves.
Sabs irritate me immensly, because although im against this particular culling method for the fox, horses and hounds are much more important in my oppinion and i don't agree with these animals getting put at rist for the sake of a fox.

wrighty

Visit site
I'm not surprised by the odd generalisation about Anti's but as I have said on numerous occassions I believe the people who hurt ANY ANIMAL are wrong and should be stopped.
I don't care who they are or what they are about as long as no harm comes to anything (Including humans)

Every side has extremists, every side has violent people who will fight for what they believe in and every side has people that give "thier cause" a bad name.

I am anti as I believe no animal should be killed by humans (or by animals controlled by humans) and I will do my best to do this but without any violence/threats.

soggy

Visit site
I am anti as I believe no animal should be killed by humans (or by animals controlled by humans) and I will do my best to do this but without any violence/threats.

Some might see that as a very admirable aim. I see it as total stupidity, based upon a total lack of understanding, knowledge, and a non-comprehension of the practicalities and impact such a desire would have.

Its the same with these misinformed idiots saying we should be feeding everybody in the world organic food.

oakash

Visit site
Wrighty, I'm afraid I would call you an extremist! Jess, I don't mean that you shouldn't be allowed to choose not to hunt - of course you have that right. But to me, people who try to stop hunting being allowed are control freaks, just as I would be if I decided that Badminton should be declared illegal.

wrighty

Visit site
Is trying to stop war a controling behaviour? Is stopping dog/cock fighting controling behaviour? Is stopping racism controling behaviour? (Do I need to go on?)

Trying to stop something that is seen by a lot of people to be wrong is not controling behaviour it is a duty that we all should srep up and do.

"I see it as total stupidity, based upon a total lack of understanding, knowledge, and a non-comprehension of the practicalities and impact such a desire would have."
Once again I am acused of lack of knowledge and understanding, I have said (and been quizzed on by many people on here) that I am a countryman who has worked on farms and in the countryside for a long time. I agree that the practicalities wouldn't be easy but why should that stop people?

Nickijem

Visit site
It seems to be that it is a pretty extreme view to say that no animal should be killed by humans.
Does that include pest control and killing for food or are you just referring to those who kill for sport?

wrighty

Visit site
I believe that NO animal should be killed.
That includes "sport", "pest" control and food, that may seem extreme but I am not an extremist in the same context as it is used on here, in the press etc.

This forum isn't the place to be discussing the food issue though so won't go into any detail.

soggy

Visit site
Is trying to stop war a controling behaviour? Is stopping dog/cock fighting controling behaviour? Is stopping racism controling behaviour? (Do I need to go on?)

Trying to stop it just because you don't understand it and disagree with it is controlling behaviour. Trying to make everyone march to the beat of your drum cos you think you have the right to call the tempo is controlling behaviour. ( Do I need to go on?)

Trying to stop something that is seen by a lot of people to be wrong is not controling behaviour it is a duty that we all should srep up and do.

Who are all these" lots of people" Tony Banks is dead now! 80% of the country don't care whether we hunt or not.

Once again I am acused of lack of knowledge and understanding, I have said (and been quizzed on by many people on here) that I am a countryman who has worked on farms and in the countryside for a long time. I agree that the practicalities wouldn't be easy but why should that stop people?

You last statement just confirms you ignorance and lack of knowledge. I've read your claims about working a few weeks on various chicken farms. Hardly what I would describe as being a countryman with extensive experience of the practicalities of managing the countryside. In fact I wouldn't describe it as being a countryman at all.

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Wrighty. I was just interested as I have never met anyone with those views.
Absolutely agree this is not the place to discuss the food issue!
Am intrigued how you would deal with rat/cockroach infestations however but I don't want to hijack this post and get side-tracked.
At least you sound like an animal - loving anti rather than that group of so called 'animal-lovers' who use that title 'animal-rights' to subject innocent folk and their animals to terrorism.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I believe that NO animal should be killed.
That includes "sport", "pest" control and food,

What about for humane reasons? Should animals be allowed to die 'naturally' - (and slowly, and painfully??) Some of the WORST cruelty in this country is caused by 'animal lovers' who cannot BEAR to put a much loved pet or horse out of its misery. (They seem to be able to bear watching it suffer, though!)

Eagle_day

Visit site
"This forum isn't the place to be discussing the food issue though ..."

Why not? There's no moral difference between killing animals for food and killing the for sport.

wrighty

Visit site
Soggy, I have spent more than a few weeks on a chicken farm, I worked for many years on various types of farms, this is where I learned how to look after animals without the need to kill other animals in the process.

I have never and will never need to put in the situation of putting down a pet as I don't believe in keeping an animal for our use and/or entertainment.
Animals that die naturally is nature, let them get on with it.

"Oh No! A bloody veggie as well!"
Close but no cigar, vegan, I don't use anything from the animals.

I think this bit is ok for this forum as some hunters say they do it for pest control (I'm not saying they hunt cockroaches with hounds)
"how you would deal with rat/cockroach infestations"

By being clean and protecting your house/farm/grain etc from them in the 1st place.
I live by a farm and there are no rats, mice running around the farm, the house or the place I live, the farmer spent a bit more money to protect his things.

"There's no moral difference between killing animals for food and killing the for sport"
Oh yes there is.

soggy

Visit site
Soggy, I have spent more than a few weeks on a chicken farm, I worked for many years on various types of farms, this is where I learned how to look after animals without the need to kill other animals in the process.

LOL So you claim. I've read some of your accounts of such miracle work. I have only just finish laughing at the last one.

I have never and will never need to put in the situation of putting down a pet as I don't believe in keeping an animal for our use and/or entertainment.
Animals that die naturally is nature, let them get on with it.

So easing suffering has no standing as far as you are concerned. Interesting" Yet you claim to be against cruelty. How does that work exactly?

Close but no cigar, vegan, I don't use anything from the animals.

Oh god, your even more boring than I thought. How are those plastic jesus sandals like at keeping your feet warm in the winter time?

By being clean and protecting your house/farm/grain etc from them in the 1st place.
I live by a farm and there are no rats, mice running around the farm, the house or the place I live, the farmer spent a bit more money to protect his things.

And you expect people to actually believe that! Whats he spent his mone on exactly?

"There's no moral difference between killing animals for food and killing the for sport"
Oh yes there is.

Oh goody! I shall wait an detailed explanation of this one. So come on then wahts the moral difference?

wrighty

Visit site
Soggy, believe what you like about my knowledge, I know from my experiences that it is possible.

Believing in nature has nothing to do with to do with cruelty but I doubt you will ever understand the difference.

My sandals are fine thanks, I do put my plastic boots on if it snows though. What is boring about making the choice about what to eat?
What is the Xmas meal for you this year? Chicken/turkey, roast spuds, carrots and maybe sprouts?

"Whats he spent his mone on exactly?"
Not a clue to be honest but he says he has no trouble.

"So come on then wahts the moral difference?"
Eating meat is natural for us (Humans) but not actually needed, for people to eat meat the animal needs to be killed, killing for fun is not natural.

soggy

Visit site
Soggy, believe what you like about my knowledge, I know from my experiences that it is possible.

As fine example of " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"!
[/quote]
Believing in nature has nothing to do with to do with cruelty but I doubt you will ever understand the difference.

But Nature is cruel! There sooner you realise that the less deluded you will be.

What is boring about making the choice about what to eat?

That depends upon what you choose to eat.

What is the Xmas meal for you this year? Chicken/turkey, roast spuds, carrots and maybe sprouts?

Nah. Roast Goose shot by yours truly. Can't stand sprouts, they make me heave. We shall be having venison casserole on our return from the Boxing Day meet. Again shot by yours truly. I expect we shall also have pheasant and duck at some point over the New Year again shot by yours truly. I'm having rabbit stew tonight. courtesy of a friend and his ferrets.

"Whats he spent his mone on exactly?"
Not a clue to be honest but he says he has no trouble.

LOL Of course he doesn't he's a wonder farmer!

Eating meat is natural for us (Humans) but not actually needed, for people to eat meat the animal needs to be killed, killing for fun is not natural.

Ah! but thats not true now is it. Meat is needed. B12 for instance.
Hunting is a natural state for man, why deny your heritage?

Nickijem

Visit site
Wow Soggy - will you fit through the door after this festive season! That sounds just my sort of festive food! Especially if shot by yourself - the best, and if I'm honest, the only way meat should be eaten.
I had Sunday lunch last week at a friend's as he had recently shot a deer and needed some help eating it. I properly enjoyed it because I knew where it had come from and how it got to be on my plate - full respect to the deer!
If you have a spare place at your table when eating food shot by your good self give me a call!!

wurzel

Visit site
"I live by a farm and there are no rats, mice running around the farm, the house or the place I live, the farmer spent a bit more money to protect his things."

A farm with no rats or mice ?!?

You are SO believable.

I think this was a lie too far :)