Hunter Bridle Help!

CBFan

Visit site
Ok... I need to get a flat hunter bridle for my boy but I'm in a real quandry!

Do I get a clencher brow band or a plain one? How thick a nose band?

He is Pure CB but quite a pretty one rather than handsome! and while he has an Extra Full brow and noseband, his cheeks are only pony / cob sized depending on the bit we use.

Here is is in his current bridle - noseband is an inch thick..

Plaited (dressage attire):

un plaited:

What do you think?

leflynn

Visit site
He is lovely! Not sure how thick he's suit tbh, but I bought the GFS plain bridle and it really suits our cob (not a hugely wide face). I also have a clincer browband on my little TB (silver) and he looks nice in that

Not much help at all sorry :eek:

CBFan

Visit site
hehe! Fat lot of good you lot are! :p

I'd always thought I'd have him in a 1.5 inch noseband but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it will be too much for him - Argh! and having seen a beautiful clencher browband I'm wondering if I should go for it...

ihatework

Visit site
1.5" noseband will definitely not be too much for him, he needs that thickness at least.
I'd be tempted to try 1.5, 1.75 & 2 to see which balances his head the best.
As for browband - presumably plain if you want to show?

CBFan

Visit site
yes, sorry, it is for showing... thought a clencher browbad would be ok but if not, that scraps that quandry!

ok thanks re the nose... I wanted to avoid having to order different widths but I might have to!

Louby

Visit site
I think at least 1.5 too, I bought a 2 inch for my ID cross, thought eeeek when I tried it on and exchanged it for a 1.5 inch and now wish Id kept the thicker one.
Goytmill saddlery had Jefferies ones massively reduced, I think the sales still on.

CBFan

Visit site
I think at least 1.5 too, I bought a 2 inch for my ID cross, thought eeeek when I tried it on and exchanged it for a 1.5 inch and now wish Id kept the thicker one.
Goytmill saddlery had Jefferies ones massively reduced, I think the sales still on.

Thank you! Unfortunately Jeffries don't come up big enough...

be positive

Visit site
Fylde do good quality plain bridles that you can buy in parts to suit, they have a choice of noseband widths and will make one up for you if required so the leather matches.

Foxford

Visit site
My horse has a similar sized head to your boy, XF but pony/cob cheeks!! What make is your everyday bridle? Jeffries don't fit my boy well either.

CBFan

Visit site
Haha! Glad I'm not the only one with a ned with a funny shaped head! My everyday bridle is Stubben but it was an absolute bargain at £20 as it had a couple of bits missing (it is a double but I use it as a regular bridle)

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Another vote for Flyde - Cob's was about £90 inc reins, really good quality and they give great advice on widths, reins etc on the phone (patient...when dealing with a showing numpty like moi)

I didnt like the white stiching on the Jeffries one.