Hunter Trial Report (I'm still alive) LONG POST (sorry)

LauraBR

Visit site
First hunter trial with new horse who can be a complete b*stard.

Well, on the way there I felt so sick with nerves that I thought I might actually BE sick
blush.gif
Feeling of sheer terror. Concentrated on visualising him clear the first few and then in my mind he'd throw one of his bronking episodes and p*ss off with me completely.

He was an angel in the warm up. At the starting line (we did novice and nanny first although neither of us had a clue really how badly behaved they would be- planned to spilt up if one of us got stuck) my friend said afterwards she looked at my face (grey and filled with dread) and actually thought I was going to bottle it there and then!!!!!!

SO- he refused the first. Twice. Friend carried on. Got him over it and he refused the second once, the third 3 times (had to stop and let others past- copped a lead off them
wink.gif
)... and THEN we kind of got into the flow (still following 3 ponies lol). He refused probably 50% of the jumps BUT we got over them all AND I didn't fall off AND I achieved my aim of getting him through the course- by hook or by crook!!!!!!!

Was estatic coming through the finishing line!

We were then down to do an indivdual round. By now nerves have gone and I'm riding much more confidently- aim to get eliminted less than 5 times over and not fall off.

WE ONLY MANAGED TO GO CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked my ass off and we had a foot perfect round- he was a STAR! Still can't believe it!

He didn't buck once all day
shocked.gif
, the grackle did the trick brakes wise (quite nice control actually unless I really let him go in which case he was quite hard to get back again- found that when I jumped the last and bombed home- nearly ended up going round full course again) and the second time round I loved every second.

Rosiie & Lec- had your voices in my ear second time round (first time round too terrified to concentrate on anything other than keeping my heels down to sit dirty stops)- shoulders back, sit up 5 strides away... DID help steady him and helped me sit deep and tackle the fences better- thanks x

Must have been most vocal round ever... growled at him to get on before every jump and then bursted with sicky sweet 'good boys' all the way round!

Wonder how long this smile will last???
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Next HT in a fortnight...
grin.gif

loopeepee

Visit site
Oh wow! Go you
smile.gif
smile.gif

Great result after a shaky start, the smile will last for a while. And if you're anything like me with reagrds to adrenaline you will NOT be able to sleep tonight! Im as high as a kite after a good round, its like a drug
blush.gif
blush.gif

Congrats, piccies??

LauraBR

Visit site
I am rather giddy
blush.gif

No pics to post yet but there are a few professional ones from each of the rounds, can show you those when they go on the website later on next week. Was my favourite photographer too
grin.gif

First pro pics for me and Sam so naturally will be buying them all lol... did wonder whether someone had mentioned that I was fair game as I *think* he took a few of us in the warm up early this morning before it all started.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am impressed - I would have been on the lorry after the 3rd jump, but then I am a complete wuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you wouldn't have! I went knowing what a challenge he would be and fully expected loads of refusals- would still be there now if thats what it took- I was SO determined to get him round no matter what- and I think it paid off
grin.gif

I am a wuss too!

LauraBR

Visit site
Just a local annual HT- Brettanby (sp?) Manor- near Darlington. Nice baby course to start with! Supposed to be 2ft 6-9 but don't think many if any of the fences were up to height.

Very nice course for starters, lots of water though.

hairycob

Visit site
Aah, but my horse is an even bigger wuss than me when it come to jumps! Though she did bravely step over a 6" obstacle out hacking yesterday - I was quite impressed - but then then the only other way round was through a narrow gap so it was the lesser of 2 evils!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aah, but my horse is an even bigger wuss than me when it come to jumps! Though she did bravely step over a 6" obstacle out hacking yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! Bless her, what a sweetie! Sounds JUST like another mare I know.

Hornby

Visit site
Congratulations and well done for achieving the second round...keep us updated for the second HT - are you jumping in between times?

LauraBR

Visit site
Yeah, getting plenty of jumping in. Lucky to have nice XC course at our yard and we are also going to try and hire the course we will be competing over beforehand.

ruscara

Visit site
Oh wow, didn't you do well! The second round sounds fantastic. I hope this means that you and he have now 'clicked' and it is a sign of things to come.
A great report!
smile.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this means that you and he have now 'clicked' and it is a sign of things to come

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might have hit the nail on the head- first time we have properly 'worked together' and REALLY enjoyed each other. I haven't bonded with Sam as well as I have with past horses but today he gave me so much more than any of my past horses.

Ash the arab

Visit site
Oh well done you!
You did a great job at perservering round the first class and it payed off for your second round.
Well done again you must feel a great sense of achieve ment.
Can't wait to hear how it goes next time out!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
BRILLIANT, well done you!

I think that is really positive for the first HT! You will be well away now.

It sounds like you are really starting to get it together now. I presume there is photos in the gallery?!?

Pidge

Visit site
Fantastic! You've got way more guts me than, think I'd have given up after the first round - a well deserved clear well done
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I nearly did call it a day- he was really sweated up and I was thrilled to have made it round the first round, thought about calling it a day before the bronks and the proper naughtiness started... so glad I went for it again!

4whitesocks

Visit site
wow that's absolutely brilliant - so pleased for you both!!!
am contemplating my first HT in two weeks.....only brave enough totry the baby course (pre-novice) but we'll see how we go!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I am really pleased for you well done. Keep going you can only get better with more practice and confidence.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Wow well done! I realized when i got to the end of that post that I was holding my breath
shocked.gif

I think you are really brave....I am only just managing to jump a pole on top of two tyres
smirk.gif
crazy.gif
I think I would have bottled it after he refused twice and said 'oh I think he has had enough for today' (more like I have had enough
grin.gif
)

I am sure that once you DO bond with Sam it will be a lot stronger relationship than you had with the other chaps. It took me a year to get Ellie to bond (I bonded long before that
grin.gif
) but now we are sooo in love.

Well done