Hunter Trials - RANT n RAVE ++SORRY

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
A few weekends ago I offered my services to jump judge at my local riding clubs autumn hunter trials at Craigie in Fife - as I was going to watch I though why not do my bit!!
Any way I was totally shocked at the amount of problems the riders experienced on the course. The ambulance was kept busy!! Now my own personal feelings were that 80% of the riders had not got the horse fit enough; I was only a third of the way around the course and far too many horses were blowing hard at this point already. Let alone the riders not being fit, how often we seen them hanging on to the neck or sitting doing nothing and picking up a silly run out. Iaslo feel that too many came out without enough preparation before hand, this is my opinion due to refusals being seen at very straightforward fences.
Further to this I was shocked and flabergasted to say the least at one juniors attitude. Two girls were competing in the pairs when over the radio it was announced that one of them had had her allocation of refusals and was to be stopped and advised to walk home. So when she was approaching my jump I advised her of this and she burst into tears. Her partner then started shouting at her to ignore me as they had paid their money and it wasnt fair - and to just carry on!! Hence I got hold of the girl in tears explaining that if he(pony) wasnt going well then today wasntt the day to 'chase' him around and cause more problem etc etc. Again her partner shouting all the time at me - so I lost the plot a little and told her in no doubt that the rules are there to be followed and by enerting the event she had agreed to these rules which were to avoid injury to both the horse or rider and that was the end of the conversation..... phew

It astounded me the attitude of such a girl - prob around 14 yers old. Hopefully after raising my concearns to the riding club she will be banned from entering again.

Further to this one woman gleefully went around ona rather nice appolossa which she announced to all that it had been broken 10 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one way to blow his mind......

Sorry for the rant but was very disappointed at the attitude of some - not only from the fitness and preparation but the sheer naivety of people. I am more involved in eventing and this was an eye opener.
On a good note the sun shone all day and a free lunch x

Reashi

Visit site
I have to agree. I went to watch my local unaffiliated hunter trials today, and the standard of riding was shocking, I guess I'm used to watching affiliated stuff. There were the occasional good riders, but a lot of them had some very honest horses! There were a few horses that were practically on the floor as they went past me on the course! One horse was even blowing hard after popping a fence in the warm up, and it was off to do two rounds! There were a few people who really need some manners, but I guess you do come across a few whether its affiliated or unaffiliated.

Reashi

Visit site
Not sure how many time they're allowed, think its twice. Most people were doing two classes, one as a "warm-up" for their proper class, or people were doing a class and a pairs class.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I see this a lot especially and unaffiliated events to the extent where i find it difficult to go along to compete amongst them. Preparations and fitness of the horse and rider is essential and too many times i've seen a horse finish the course on its knees looking like its having a heart attack. Rock finished the course blowing a little and his breathing went back to normal within about 2minutes and i got off him immediately untacked etc whilst walking him around...only to see a young girl about 15 finisih on a horse blowing hugely and looked like it was about to die, she then just sat there and chatted to her mates on this poor animal who was still blowing and she continued to do that for half n hour, still wasnt off the poor creature when we left!

loobylu

Visit site
Hi, Cragie in particular is notorious (sp) for unfit horses, possibly because it is a flat course, people believe it doesn't matter. To be fair the spring HT is one of the first so maybe people just mis-judge fitness levels btu then again it doesn't take that much to get a horse fit to go round a flat, nursery novice HT does it?
crazy.gif

Possibly a little unfair commenting on stops at simple jumps, any horse can pick the mnost innocent looking log to stop at, just the way it is sometimes.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with two girls (hate to say I have a good guess as to who they might have been) although I may have some hidden sympathies in that it is blooming expensive to enter- the ODE at Montrave is cheaper!