hunting a big boy

rharvey92

Visit site
hiya,
my friend has asked me to continue to fitten her 17.1 tank of a horse for hunting, as she has broken her leg and obviously cant ride. i am thinking hill work and jumping, anything else anyone can recommend?
also, he is very difficult to collect, as im sure you can imagine, and im a little worried he'll end up leaving me behind when we do hunt, having said this, he is very sloppy also. im not too keen on spurs, but will carry a stick of course, can anyone recommend a bitting solution? he is currently in a fulmer snaffle?
thankss!

rharvey92

Visit site
there isnt a problem with it, i was just wondering if it would help me get him more under control? he is difficult to get 'together' and i dont want to be left behind, im wondering whether he has become 'numb' to it? and also whether another bit would help with brakes and steering?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Are you actually having problems with brakes and steering? If he's going to be this difficult for you then I wonder whether you wouldn't be more help to your friend by trying to find someone who will be able to manage him. Sorry.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
If the saddle has proper knee rolls put your stirups up 2 more than you would normally hunt with and your leg will stay still. If you get spurs with a roller on the end you won't mark him or hurt him. Look in a dressage shop for them. get a decent length spur- those little ones look smart and harmless but you will need to work harder to get them to work effectively!

He'll hurt more if he falls in the hunting field!

rharvey92

Visit site
thanks guys,
i took him out the other day across the fields and to an old xc course, and i could control him, but he's just so big i felt perhaps i could alter his bit to give me a bit more control. he is just like a typical big dopey horse, steering like a tank and brakes he takes a while to listen to!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd make asking the owner what bit she uses if he's feeling a bit strong a priority. I just worry that by changing all these things at once youare going to end up with problems.

boxcarhorse

Visit site
I'd suggest you do some regular grid work jumping, which should help you collect him and help make him more adjustable over a fence.

Re. bitting you might find riding him in a standing martingale rather than a strong bit will help more.

Annagain

Visit site
There's only one way to find out if the fulmar snaffle is a problem or not.

I'd rather take my 17hh tank hunting in a snaffle than my 16.2 in anything!! Can't make smilies work but you can imagine which one I'd choose!