hunting advice??

lisaward

Visit site
i have a 3yr/4 in april 07 14hh hackney x welsh
she was backed in june this year and is proving to be a little star.

i would like her to go hunting just purely as a education thing,do you think that she is too young or do you think she would benifit from it.

i will probably only send her out a few times then i may tick her over through winter or turn her away ,mind i don't always think turning them away completely is the best thing.

i am going to sell her next year so what do you guys think???

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have a 3yo (4 in 07) and he is just about to be backed. Even if i backed him earlier in the year i wouldnt consider that amount. IMO 3 is too young. the bones and ligaments aren't developed enough for the stresses and strains of hunting. By all means hack her out etc, but I wouldnt even consider hunting till next year.

KatB

Visit site
Leave it a year. My boy went blood hounding the beginning of this year as a just 4yr old officially, but he's a late foal, so actually unofficially five. Leav it until theyre well into their 4th year, and even then only very lightly, and make sure you know the country.
smile.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
I took a 3yo out cubbing this time to educate him. We honestly thought he was ready for it and he was with all his yard buddies but 20mins into it we realised he was a little too babyish to grasp it.

lisaward

Visit site
TO EVERYONE
people might go "shock horror , hunting she must be mad or totally want to ruin her horse"
but i don't that is why i'm putting the post up as i want to do right by the mare.
i am worried as she is so good that maybe it is too easy to do too much and wanted some backup advice
thanks

Clodagh

Visit site
We never hunted ours until they were four, when they cubbed and were then turned away for the winter. They then hunted properly, albeit lightly, the next season. I would think she would be a bit young, I'm hunting a 5 year old now and she is very babyish, panics a bit under stress (like when the horse in front vanishes over a hedge), but is coming on nicely. Mentally you'd be asking a 3 year old a lot to take on board.