Hunting and studs.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would appreciate the thoughts of those who hunt regarding their hunt's policy when riding near a stud with lots of youngsters.
Does the hunt stay a reasonable distance away or gallop along their boundaries, does it go through fields of mares and foals/youngsters etc.
If the Master sees horses very obviously upset does he move hounds away?
Do you feel it's ok to cross fields full of horses?
Thanks.

cptrayes

Visit site
Interesting, as just last Saturday and the Saturday before (2 different drag hunts) we hunted through a field of loose horses and alongside a field of mares with foals at foot. The mares with foals at foot were got in swiftly, but a loose stallion went beserk for 15 or 20 minutes before they could catch him. The field of loose horses was at a livery yard where there was a check and a stirrup cup, so they knew we were coming.

I would expect any hunt laying a line or a trail near a livery yard or stud to let them know so that they could bring their horses in. As a rider I felt very much at risk riding through a field of loose horses, but at least the place knew we were coming even if we didn't know we would be riding through a herd of 20 or so loose horses :eek:

henryhorn

The problem here is the hunt don't lay any trail they hunt with an owl....
So they can't tell you other than roughly what area they will cover.
Do you think it's acceptable to expect horse owners to catch and remove rugs from up to 38 horses every time the hunt decide to hunt in adjoining fields?
To face the extra work involved from having valuable horses standing inside all day?
At this time of year rugged unclipped mares who charge about get in a white lather in minutes, risking their unborn foals.
I'm asking because when I hunted regularly years ago if anyone's horses were seen in a real state the Master dispatched someone to tell the owners and the hunt moved away..
In your case above cptrayes I wonder if like here the livery owners were all at work and so unable to bring in their horses unless they took a day off?

cptrayes

Visit site
Well it was Saturday, so they were around, and a lot of them seemed to be enjoying watching us. It was the "lower end" of livery yard, if I could put it like that without being rude, unrugged horses, "varied" fence materials. We started our first leg at another yard where all the horses were in and had been instructed to be kept in by the owner, who was hunting with us.

I think this is a big problem if the hunt is not following a known line and as an owner I would be absolutely apopleptic if a hunt went near my stud with young and valuable stock without warning me at least a day before. I can also see why a stud owner would wonder why they should be put to the effort/expense/nuisance of keeing their stock in so that hunt followers can have some fun, but short of banning all types of hunting I'm not sure what the solution to that one is....

Last edited:

elizabeth1

Visit site
We are very fortunate in that our hunt the Surrey Union always drop in a few days before to let us know thay may be in our area.The bridleways go up 3 sides of our fields.I can then get our mares and youngster in.Not so the bloodhounds who come every year without warning and upset our horses every time! I end up with very distressed and sweaty horses who gallop around and I find that extremely rude and thoughtless when all they have to do is phone or drop in when planning the route beforehand.
All credit to the Surrey Union for manners!

Alec Swan

Visit site
H_H,

both the Master and Hunt Staff should know their country, and I'd be staggered at the stupidity, of any who allowed hounds near a Stud. As for actually entering paddocks that contained loose horses, that should be unthinkable.

I've had to request of many, who ride past our mares, or youngsters, that they do so at a walk, when they're riding out. We often have locals ride by, and our horses just lift their heads, and then carry on grazing. Hounds, and a mounted field flying about would be a different matter, for all the reasons which you've given.

Hunting is under enough pressure, as it is, without alienating their generally supportive neighbours.

Alec.

Simsar

Visit site
Trying to find a picture.

The Surrey U hunt through and around ours, we leave all mares and foals out they are used to it, they run for a bit but then settle. But saying that we have our hedges cut in fields with mares and foals and they just carry on as normal. Each to their own and we do know when they are coming. I will get photo's.

Vicki1986

Visit site
I have jumped through a field of loose horses, it was stressful, especially when one of the horses jumped out with us. I did wonder at the time what the hunt was thinking.

I hope to god the hunt will let me know if they are going to pass me, mine will go beserk and i have a funny feeling one may jump out and join them.... I'd prefer to know they were coming and be able to get them in for the whole day if neccessary. I think hunts should always let yards know, where possible, that they are passing, its good manners.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
All land owners will have had a meet card so they can see at a glance when hounds are around them and likely to be heading their way. Some will get their horses in, some won't, it's their choice with what they're happy to do. Hunt staff and field masters will also be aware of any no go areas for that day.
If the horses are here at home and it's before Christmas, I'm quite happy for them (mares as well, they'll not be due until April/May), to be left out in all bar the Chapel field as that is the one the field will use if necessary so I can leave those gates open and they can move on out of the way. They only get stressed in their boxes if they can hear all the fun but not see it and have a play as well. If I'm using the field up the road then I will bring them home as I can guarantee hounds and field will use that field to come down and I don't want their fun spoilt while trying to keep my horses in that field; it's just not worth the palpitations for the sake of a 15 minute walk to bring them back; I'd rather know they were safe than just hope.
Do you not have a large collecting yard or barn, something the horses can go in HH while hounds are about in your area? You do have meet cards so you know when they're due don't you?

henryhorn

We didn't get a meet card this time, but the Master does ring the evening before.
At present the horses are divided into some fields of same sex, some mares with foals, a field of geldings some of which are liveries, a few have their own paddocks and the main herd a mix of retired/youngsters/some DIY are together.
We have two barns but shutting a gang of excited horses in together whodon't normally mix would be asking for a kicking match I reckon. They normally have an exit route away from any bullies so I don't think that would work.
If as in your situation there aren't huge numbers of horses it works differently, yes they tazz about for a bit but tend not to go stupid. Here because we are surrounded by a road on two sides and fields on the others the field go back and forth and round and round us sometimes for an age, winding the horses up because they are tantalisingly close, and sometimes as happened this week, some attempt to join in.
When we rug up for winter it's a mammoth task, and removing and re-rugging just because someone wants to have "fun" seems a bit of a cheek to me I'm afraid.
In 2008 a mare lost her foal 3 days after getting terribly overheated when the hunt came through the stud, we couldn't say for certain that was the cause but our vet said it wouldn't have helped..
The retired horses are here for the reason it's a peaceful place where they hopefully tend to not charge about, some are just about field sound, after a morning galloping round when the hunt is here, some are very lame again and it's only a matter of time before one stays lame and has to be euthanised. Losing the foal plus the risk to the oldies affects my livliehood, if one gets pts I lose the livery !
I have today spoken with the Assoc of MFH and the gentleman there agreed it really should be a case of if we request the hunt steers clear of us, it should happen.
As it is they have lost another 100 plus acres and if they can alienate a family who marched in London, rode on the Dartmoor Protest Meet etc something is seriously wrong.
You said people should be aware of any no go areas, well how do we persuade the hunt because of the amount of disruption they cause us we feel we should be a no go area?
Years ago there was no question of going near places like ours, the Master kept hounds and followers well away.
Now it appears their areas are shrinking due to people like us saying we are sick of the hassle, I know of at least four other local landowners who have said no more access.
I think we have been reasonable in the past allowing first the entire hunt to gothrough our land then the hunt staff, but circumstances change, and when you risk valuable horses going through fences you have to be sensible and say enough is enough.

Simsar

Visit site
If you don't want the hunt on/near or around then please speak to the hunt and tell them how you feel. The Surrey Union have an amazing man Fraser who is very very keen to keep landowners happy, so speak to your local Frazer and he will help you.

SusieT

Visit site
I don't understand why people (potentially non hunting people) should have to disrupt their day, pay extra(bedding, hay) and generally have their routine ruined because the hunt wish to hunt? Surely you hunt on land that is safe to do so i.e you will not be causing other animals or people distress?

I have had the hunt come up the yard( TOTALLY uninvited, never having spoken to us before) and start trying to grab dogs to put them away etc. as they said their hounds would kill them. They backed off quick enough when our retriever started aiming to take chunks out of them.. But they still had no qualms about continuing over our land without permission, and given it is land filled with cats, chickens, small dogs, not appropriate. We also don't get warnings of the hunt being nearby (and not you would think due to being unwelcoming-we have never been spoken to by the hunt..) so cannot get our small animals/horses in just in case..which I think is very poor.

Simsar

Visit site
I'm sorry you have been treated like this. Things like this give hunting a bad name, I cannot believe that your local hunt are so rude and inconsiderate. Maybe higher powers might pick up on this thread??????

SusieT

Visit site
Yes, Icould not believe it as had thought before that they weren't too bad (and have hunted myself-not with them-which was pretty much all on private land, aside from roadwork, and despite meeting in a busy village etc. hounds were kept well under control until out in the countryside)

Mike007

Visit site
We are very fortunate in that our hunt the Surrey Union always drop in a few days before to let us know thay may be in our area.The bridleways go up 3 sides of our fields.I can then get our mares and youngster in.Not so the bloodhounds who come every year without warning and upset our horses every time! I end up with very distressed and sweaty horses who gallop around and I find that extremely rude and thoughtless when all they have to do is phone or drop in when planning the route beforehand.
All credit to the Surrey Union for manners!

Slightly puzzled, do you mean bloodhounds or draghounds, please respond as this is an important question to me.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I can't believe any hunt would not card those in the area in which they intend to hunt. Irrespective of the type of hunting each Master WILL know the country they are intending to hunt. I do the carding for our hunt. As well as visiting/ringing the farmers they are all carded. I also send cards to all horse owners/yards or others to whom our presence may be disruptive. The cards say where we are meeting and are headed "to advise you of our presence in the area". Cards are sent 3 weeks in advance of meet. It is then up to the individuals as to whether they get their horses in or not. We would dream of hunting through fields of any stock or horses.

Last edited:

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
We try and visit landowners a week in advance of coming to their area to give them time to take animals in and if they don't want to do that then we steer clear of that area.

I am truly sorry to hear that some hunts are not informing landownwers and causing hassle for them, please please ring the hunt and talk to them about it before you make a big decision. I do understand where you are coming from though.

henryhorn

I have now received a cheque and nice letter apologising for all the trouble and saying they will do their utmost to stay a few fields distant in future.
I think they do now understand we weren't being difficult, as a commercial business we were finding it a nightmare trying to cope on hunting days, and I did say if ever we stop having so many horses here there would be no problem in future.
I must ask for a new meet card, reckon ours got lost in the post.