Hunting- do you/would you

doodle

Visit site
Drag hunting. I have been once and it was terrifying even in the non jumping following group. Sharer now wants to take my horse to jump. I am very unsure. I dont want him hurt or hotted up. But she says just like eventing but slower. Thoughts?

albeg

Visit site
Could you go on foot before she takes him and gauge whether you'd be happy with him going out? He's your horse, so don't let yourself be pressurised into letting him go to something you're not happy with him doing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Your horse, your final say.
Is drag hunting covered on your horses insurance as it's usually a higher level of premium. If not, then perfect excuse for you?
Yes, it can be quick, some horses settle, some don't. I love dragging, but not in big hedge country as I prefer more smaller fences under 1 metre these days!
No, it's definitely not like 'eventing but slower' at least not with the 2 packs I've been with, but also both have had a 2nd master to take non jumping field behind.
At the front it's slower, mid pack it can get v quick!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm a seasoned drag hunter. I'd say don't let him go the risk is too high. It's not your horse, or your sharer, it's all the other idiots who can't control their horses or don't know their manners. Much more dangerous than eventing (which I also did), where you are on your own and the take offs and landings are all prepared in advance and the striding perfect.

doodle

Visit site
I have been to the meet mysekf in the non jumping group so have an idea of what goes on. I think i will say no. She might want him more forward but she is brave and im not so dont want him hotted up. Will check with insurance.

Visit site
Would she be going out with the Fife? They hunt properly, not drag hunt. And they go quick a lot of the time. I haven't been out with them for a few years but have friends that are out every week. I would honestly say don't let your horse go. It's definitely not eventing but slower! Its hooleying round fields jumping walls, hedges, fences, logs etc. Yes the road bits are slow as they are trotting but as soon as the ground opens up so do the hounds and horses.

If your horse is prone to being hot and flighty I wouldn't even consider it.

flying_high

Visit site
No I’ve two sharers and absolutely not. Unless I as owner hunted horse already and had assessed risks I’d not consider it!

Bernster

Visit site
I think you’re right OP, not something I’d let a sharer do. I do hunt on occasion but wouldn’t be happy letting others take mine.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I definatly would say no , it’s a risky pursuit and if it’s something you don’t do I would not risk the horse .
If he’s lamed you will be the one left holding the lead rope while the vet spends money .