Hunting dress code

SSM

Visit site
I'm sure it has been asked before so sorry!

I am hoping to take the Perfect Stonky Donkey (PSD) (new name for her!) out with both the Readyfield (thanks H!!!) and the South Notts, as I have not hunted in over 24 years
crazy.gif
I need some advise on dress code for both Ratcatcher and 'proper' days, which jackets, headgear etc and do you wear a bodyprotector these days under your jacket??

PSD will go in her snaffle with a flash as I prefer this combo but again advise welcomed!

Thanks

bandit

Visit site
Hello!!!

if you go autumn hunting it's ratcatcher and coloured stock, stock pin, beige jodhs, long boots, spurs etc, if it's in open season, i think it depends on the hunt but ladies wear either navy or black jackets with matching hats, white or cream stock, beige jodhs and long boots.

horses tack should be plain too, no pink numnahs!!! boots if hte horse wears them, but pls dont use open fronted tendon boots as saw a horse jump wire last season and the 'open-ness' of the boots did very little to protect horses legs!!! neck strap may be usefull too if you aren't using a martingale.

having said all that, some hunts are more accepting to variations than others, most of hte kids at our hunt wear body protectors over hunt coats.

enjoy hunting..

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I find cubbing brilliant for new horses who you are not sure how they will react. You do not tend to get idiots out, there is a lot of standing around and its cheap! Its a good way of getting into it again steadily.

I know quite a few people who wear body protectors but they wear them for warmth just as much as protection.

Have fun!

SSM

Visit site
Thanks for that, the only thing that seems to have changed is wearing a coloured stock with hacking jacket - I'm sure I used to wear my PC tie with a shirt and then a stock with black jacket.

Will NOT be jumping wire - she's too precious!!!!!!

SSM

Visit site
Would love to take her cubbing, she went out on a summer ride with the readyfield and actually lost her donkey tag for the evening!

SilverSkye

Visit site
Have hunted with both south notts and the readyfield and usually wear exactly the same things! My mare wears her normal tack although do admit to putting slightly more in her mouth to ensure i can stop! i use a plain black or white ( depending on which is clean) numnah, and a full set of x country boots and over reach boots in front. I always wear a body protector, cream jods white shirt, white stock and have always hunted in my black jacket and my show hat. If its raining hard or really cold with south notts you can wear a coat but only if the master puts one on and being honest once you get going you dont really need it.
Have had some fantastic days out with both hunts, the readyfield introductory meets are quite good for getting horses into it although as there are a lot of kids and standing about you can find it just winds them up more, the readyfield meets from Cauton usually involve loads of jumping as they have the hunter trial course up there although as long as you go on OJD you dont have to jump anything and can pick and choose.
Am sure you and mini stonks will look great and have some great days out.

faerie666

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that, the only thing that seems to have changed is wearing a coloured stock with hacking jacket - I'm sure I used to wear my PC tie with a shirt and then a stock with black jacket.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah shirt and tie with hacking jacket is also perfectly acceptable, at least with our hunt (Cheshire forest).

CastleMouse

Visit site
I hunt with a heavyweight black hunting jacket, beige breeches, black long boots, a velvet riding hat (not brave enough to wear a beager
blush.gif
), and a cream stock and white shirt. Castle has his mane plaited and his tail pulled
smile.gif
It is perfectly acceptable to wear a shirt and tie with a hacking jacket
smile.gif