Hunting Fit

pottamus

Visit site
So what do all you hunters and XC people out there do in a week to keep your horses fit enough for their events?
Interested to know how many times a week exercised, whether schooled or hacked, how long for and what type of work (trot, canter etc)?
Thanks guys!
grin.gif

icemaiden113

Visit site
I have 3 hunt horses in full work at the mo and they do a variety of. Each of them hunt at least once a week. they have the day after hunting off and sunday's in the field other than that they are given road work in walk and trot, up and down our many hills and often lunged for 20 mins as this gives them such a better work out! If there are local jumping comps on then they go there on suns as well ,to keep all muscles working!

madgirl

Visit site
umm well major hunts about once a week in term time twice in hols.
He does about an hourse roadwork oe day 20 mins lunging the next and then schooled twice one of them jumping then he will do hunter tials and show jumping quite a bit!

jayvee

Visit site
the hunters here are ridden daily if a gap in meets of say 2 weeks+.
When they go out weekly then I only ride 2/3 times in the week doing road work for an hour or so and in bad weather I lunge them!. As going hunting again keeps their fittness topped up.
Getting them fit at start of season is the worst as soo much ridden work is invovled!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oshk is hacked out every day, sometimes I lead from him, but most of the time its just me and him. Hillwork, roadwork and gallops- same applies to Jasper, Eric and Willow when i had him up fit. I do a lot of trotting on the roads to fitten them, and a couple of long canters a week.

Clodagh

Visit site
Dixie is hacked three days for about an hour. I have a lesson, either jumping or flat on the 4th day. We hunt one day and she has two days off.