Hunting in Canada!

Bugly

Visit site
I used to teach on a ranch an hour north of toronto; i cant recall any hunting up there: but if there had been i'd have gone for it- such beautiful country- god i miss it!

icemaiden113

Visit site
Thanks for that - were in looking in to moving out to the Hamilton Hunt have done a lot of research but wondered if anyone knew much about them or what the hunting/ country is really like!

Steeleydan

Visit site
Do you mean to move out there and work actually at the hunt kennels, or just to move there and be a subscriber? If Iam right the huntsman Antoney Gaylard has just moved from the Hamilton to the Toronto and North York. I moved to Canada with my now exhusband, he was a Huntsman out there, its ok and the money is good, but Canada came 10 years too early in my life I was cronically home sick for England, missed my horse terribley and at the time we went hunting in the uk was still proper hunting, and the hunt we went too was only drag hunting although they omitted this at our interview. Where we were they hunted in the summer for a couple of monthe and a month in the autum, because once the snow comes thats it for 6 or 7 months. possibly if it was now and the state Britain is in and the fact hunting is not that good here,I would try and make it work, because the standard of living for a hunt servant over there would be marginally better over here. But I would say the Hamilton would be better than the hunt we were at although we were at least 5 or 6 hours, east away from them, I am very sure when we were over there the Huntsman was Paul Luckhurst, son of a famous british huntsman Stan Luckhurst. But as I say it was 1998 we went and only stayed a year.

TarrSteps

Visit site
If you go onto to www.equiman.com and into the forum there, there are some Hamilton members (and some TNYH as well) who could tell you more about it and point you towards some photo links.

I think it depends on your standards, really. Hunting in Ontario is certainly nothing like hunting with the Quorn or Cottsmore ;) and most of the jumps are panels (not usually very big and lots of hilltoppers out as well) because there is much less "public access" available so hunts tend to go over fairly limited private land. But they're an enthusiastic bunch and seem to enjoy themselves, none the less. :)

icemaiden113

Visit site
Thanks for that will try there! Have seen some pics as the hanilton have there own website. just need as much info as poss before my husbands decides to take the job (or not) but very keen!