hunting near Thetford

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Hey, I used to hunt with Heythrop and Farmers Bloodhounds but am now moving to Thetford in Norfolk, which hunts are closest and what is the country like. It looked pretty flat when I went up for my job interview. Will I be disappointed after my Cotswold stone walls or are there new challenges to meet?

Clodagh

Visit site
Mmmm...would be the West Norfolk Foxhounds or the North Norfolk Harriers, I should think. Pretty flat after the Heytrop I reckon, but you might see more hound work! Someone on here lives up there...no doubt they'll be on later.
Happy Hunting!

polaris

Visit site
West Norfolk and slightly undulating. If you look at the O.S map you'll get a rough idea. Frequently hunt south of King's Lynn, Marham, Castle acre, Pottrow,Gayton...Have a look on an O.S

Jiffy

photobucket.com
Good Luck Tarquin. I used to live near Thetford & it's surrounded by Forestry Commission owned land, so I don't expect there is much hunting around there. :(

I don't want to put a damper on things...but YES you may be disappointed (as I live in Heythrop country now). It's flat and boring imho. I moved to Oxon 21yrs ago because of the 'hills' lol

Now, if you take up husky racing I know that Thetford Forest is a popular area to exercise your huskies and (wheel-mounted) 'sledge'!!!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
The Dunston Harriers will be your nearest. They cover the areas around Attleborough and Wymondham.
As Jiffy says there isn't any hunting in the forest itself and that covers a huge area!
Mind you, the hacking there is excellent out of 'fly' season.

However, if it's hills and stone walls you're after..........no hope!!!!!!!!!!
It will be mainly ploughed fields and ditches.

Still, Welcome to Norfolk! :)

vixen

New User
Visit site
The Suffolk aren't too far from you either - kennels just south of Bury St Edmunds I believe, which is easily accessible from Thetford.