Hunting newby - Hants / Berks border

Leg_end

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice from hunting pros as I really want to take my boy out a few times this coming season but I haven't been hunting since I was a small child (when I got asked to leave on my naughty pony!) and I feel a bit out of my depth!

What is the best way to ease myself (and my horse) in? He is young and has never hunted before but has hacked in company, done xc rides etc and is perfectly mannerly and happy around dogs so I am not overly concerned about him but I don't want to do anything incorrect. I wondered about taking him cubbing but wasn't sure if you have to be a subscriber to do this.

I can probably get a couple of more experienced hunting folk to come with me but i would like to know in advance so I am as prepared as I can be.

Can anyone recommend any hunts that would welcome a newby in the hants / berks area (I know berks&buck draghounds & southern shires hunt near me but have no idea on what they are like as a pack)?

jenni999

Visit site
I go out with the B&B and also spent several seasons with the Sandhurst. Both are very friendly and would be happy to offer advice on what meets would be best for you to start with. There is always someone to look after you. Early season ones are always slower and with optional jumps. Check out their websites and give them a call. I would not recommend the SS Bloodhounds. I found them quite unfriendly when I tried them, they rode on what I considered to be unsuitable ground (deep plough with little or no way round) and the Field Master had no idea where he was going.

Stark Dismay

Visit site
The Vine and Craven are based in Hannington, half way between Newbury and Basingstoke. They are a very friendly bunch. Early clubbing is likely to be fairly close to kennels, and very quiet indeed - a good way to start. They hunt an artificial scent but try to keep the feel of the day as close to way hunting before the ban as is possible. They have a new huntsman this year, so I have no idea whether we will be going faster or slower than previously! You don't need to be a subscriber, but you DO need to call their secretary before you come out.

The B&B Draghounds seem to be a friendly bunch, but you don't get much chance to get to know them - they go like the clappers! Not been early season with them, so don't know if they are any steadier then.

The Southern Shires ARE a friendly bunch, but I know last season they struggled seriously for ground - many of their hunt centres are along a river valley which floods badly. I prefer to hunt with foxhounds, but have ventured out with them on foot with my daughter on a lead rein. They are having some accommodation issues at the moment which may impact on the start of their season.

Milly-Molly-Maisie

Visit site
I am on the Hampshire/Berkshire border too, I had my first full season out with The Southern Shires and went out on my own with them, they are a small hunt and pretty friendly, I have to say I chose them as they had a great slow start with hound exercise x 4 weeks then training meets x 4 weeks before opening meet, and they do steady up on bad ground, we did lose a lot of meets but then it was exceptionally wet this winter.

I have also been out with the sandhurst they are a very welcoming bunch, I only moved as the bloodhounds go at a more reasonable pace for my short legged welsh cob, the jumps are smaller with ssb too! The berks and bucks hunt where I livery and I have watched them at kingsclere, they are pretty fast!

Why not go out for days with each and see how you get on. With the vine and craven we are spoilt for choice!

Last edited:

Rully

Visit site
Hi I am also hants/berks borders, I subscribed for the first time last season with the Kimblewick and I could not have been made to feel more welcome. I started out cubbing (before subscribing) and the secretary was so helpful in directing me to meets and keeping an eye on me when I brought out a new youngster. I've also been out with the Sandhurst who were friendly.

I hope you come out this season, I hadn't hunted for years but had an absolute blast last season and can't wait for it to start again!

Vickijay

Visit site
I came into this part if the forum to ask the exact same thing and I am also near the Hants/Berkshire border (near Mattingley) maybe we could try going somewhere together?! Moral support?

rotters13

Visit site
We love B&B draghounds and had an AMAZING day out with the Southern Shires! Really friendly both of them so I'd vote to go to whichever meet is the most convenient at the time.

Leg_end

Visit site
Thanks guys :D

I'm definitely going to go, regardless I think! Vickijay why not?! I'm near Headley, more Newbury way but you're less than half an hour from me :)

I think the drag hounds may be a bit quick but have also heard SS are in jeopardy this season :( It may be the kimblewick....

LiffWee93

Visit site
ive been out with the vine and craven with my youngsters and they are nicely paced, not a huge amount of jumping, but a lovely jolly around the local countryside! i have also been out with the berks and bucks and had a whale of a time! couldnt stop smiling, it was speedy, but the field stretched out so you can settle where you like to, there is always a non-jumping field for each line which is slower with "nannies", but you can always join the main field if the line sounds good to you (at the beginning of each they let you know what is coming up) - ive heard the sandhurst are really lovely and have a lot of lovely novice meets to the same effect :) i am near you also op, so maybe we can meet up for a day's hunting also? xx

Bernster

Visit site
Hi I am also hants/berks borders, I subscribed for the first time last season with the Kimblewick and I could not have been made to feel more welcome. I started out cubbing (before subscribing) and the secretary was so helpful in directing me to meets and keeping an eye on me when I brought out a new youngster. I've also been out with the Sandhurst who were friendly.

I hope you come out this season, I hadn't hunted for years but had an absolute blast last season and can't wait for it to start again!

^^ this. Same here would def recommend if they cover your territory.

Milly-Molly-Maisie

Visit site
Hi leg_end The Southern Shires Bloodhounds have sorted out their accommodation problems so will be starting training meets on 3rd October :) I'm sure their website will be updated soon. The first be is south wonston, close to Calcutts :)