Hunting? - SHould I let him go?

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I have just been down to see my horse who is away on loan. They have been doing fab!! Hunter trials, adn doing winter points this season. She also mentioned that they want to try hunting.
Now my boy is not a horse that likes to be left behind, and I am slightly worried that he will become too keen and just be in such a rush to keep up that something will happen. Obviously I will make sure he is insured to hunt, and we do think that he did this as a youngster as he had splints when he was 4.

I also had a wee shot of him today, and I have to say that she didnt seem to happy about it, well she said it was ok, but he wouldnt canter for me, and started to run. Soooooooo embarassing!

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
one it depend s on your contract if you have one
two-- it depends on your relationships

as there is three personalities you the loaner and your horse

4 now hunting can be risky but then so can everything else

if she capable and confindent and horse does well for her then
if it was me i owuldnt have an objection

but -- what you could do -- is let her go and you go and watch if at any time make it as plain as day if hes not fit enough - and whatever reason then to go half way maybe or bring him back if hes either passes the master as thats a no no anyways-- meaning if hes to strong for the ride bring him back to base--

or if not fit and flags -- bring him back to base..

if hes does well then watch and follow the hunt you will proabably enjoy that just watching him-- go round that way you can see most yourself and check himover when he comes back it will also give you abit more confidence in the rider and his ablaities it might even be that when hes done a few more things its another nitch under his belt and making him a great horse as he wont be scared of anything and just take it all in his stride--- watch him --

WishfulThinker

Visit site
Oh he is fit!! TOO fit maybe as the brakes are not very strong! The rider is more than capable, in fact I have not met anyone like her with as much confidence adn skill in only 2 years of riding - she is better than many people who started back when I did 12 years ago. I trust her impeccably - its just his lordship I'm worried about as he WILL NOT be last and he will jump just about anything without seeming to care what is on the other side!! A boot in the ribs and he will go over it - 3ft from standing seems to be a speciality at the mo!

I would say that he is a masters horse, not a followers. If she does pass the master is it REALLY bad?

filly190

Visit site
From what you say, they have been up front and honest enough to ask you. Thats good, and by the way he is going I would trust them. Your horse will be taught a lot in the field and it will educate him. If the rider is good and it sounds like it, then go for it. It sounds like, if it were you, you probably would not do it.

Let someone give the horse a chance, you could always go on foot to watch over him. Loads of race horses are taken hunting and dont go mad, it actually calms then and teaches them manners, so dont be afraid, it will be ok

WishfulThinker

Visit site
Yeah, I just worry about broken bones! Im a pessimist unfortunately!

I just dont want something bad to happen as I am too far away to go see him quickly if it did
frown.gif

filly190

Visit site
The most common way for horses to injure themselves is in their own field, if its going to happen it will and wrapping him up in cotton wool wont help.

Think of the most famous, valuable race horses ie desert orchid, he's been hunting. Remember the rider wont want to be killed either and they will be looking out for them self and the horse. They have obviously put loads of work into him, and so that would all go down the pan if they went with a reckless attitude.

It would have been better if they had told you afterwards, then it would have been done with.

To make you feel better, I have a young horse and my friend rides her. She is younger, braver and stronger and we took her for cross country schooling today, she did things with her, that I would never have done and the horse excelled. I sat and watched on my old 20 year old trusted steed and felt so very proud. Left to me, she would still be doing trotting poles and by the time she was twelve I may have thought about what was achieved today. So because you are nervous, you are holding them both back, let go like I have had to do and you will reap the rewards when you take her back from loan.

You will have a horse that's done everthing and you will then have the confidence to do it all for yourself. We all have limits as riders and it is better to acknowledge them and let someone braver and better have a go. I have personally strugged with watching another rider on my baby, but she has come on in leaps and bounds and during my very private battle I know that I have done the right thing.

You cant be there, but would it make any difference, think about the field thing. Please dont worry and think about it too much, let go of the apron strings and watch your baby grow up.

Good luck

Tia

Visit site
Sorry I am going to go against the grain here. No I have never allowed any of my horses who have been on any sort of loan go hunting; waay too risky in my opinion. I have however, allowed friends to take them hunting when I have been there too.

WishfulThinker

Visit site
Hmmm, I dont struggle watching someone else ride him, in fact I am very glad and enjoy seeing how he goes. It is more a case of me being scared that if I let them go, adn something happens i would feel bad as I know that if i hadnt had him on loan then the wouldnt have gone and it wouldnt have happened.

He is sure footed. I was just not sure if there was a limit to waht most people would let a loan horse do. The loanee is in amonsgt very experienced company at BHS approved yard, with a BE course and she can cope with all those fences etc fine, adn when he decides enogu is enough and the head goes between the legs and he heads for home.

I think maybe I am envisaging MASSIve hegdes and banks etc!! Been reading too many Ginny books!!

Well ultimately it is up to them I guess, asn I shoul dlet him do all that now as when I ge thim back we wont be doing that sort of stuff as it just doesnt happen up here. SJ and RC dressage will be it for us.