Hunting USA

Countryman

Visit site
From the little I've heard, I gather they hunt red foxes, grey foxes, coyotes and bobcats, depending on their country - some hunt all of them! In much of the USA Red Foxes are endangered so they call it fox 'chasing' not hunting because hounds hunt them to ground, and don't catch them. I think with Coyotes the opposite is true though, and they try their best. I think most jumping is coops and hunt jumps.

kgates

Visit site
I don't come on here often, but wanted to direct you to another forum in which you could ask your question and get answers.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?70-Hunting

I am in Central Virginia and have been hunting for 13 years. I have had the opportunity to go out with hunts in South Carolina, Maryland, and 13 different hunts in Virginia. Each has there own quarry and territory. Some only hunt Red foxes, even though they have grey fox and coyote in their territory. Some only hunt foxes (red or grey) and never coyote. This is sometimes due to tradition and sometimes due to a tight territory. Others hunt anything. As far as jumps, this depends on territory. Some are heavily paneled and some have few to no jumps. Some of the hunts jump 4 board fences and don't bother with coops. A few have stone walls to jump, but these usually have a special spot so as to not damage the stone work. The coops can be anywhere from as small as 2'6" and on up. I haven't' seen any proper hedges in my hunting, but you could ask on the COTH hunting forum if there are any in the other parts of the country.

Another interesting difference is the amount of time the hunt will stay out hunting. Some hunt for 2-3 hours and call it a day, others will stay out 4-6 hours.

One fun thing we do in Virginia every other year is to have a "Hunt Week", which is really more than 1 week. Many of the hunts in VA get together and offer a package of hunting over 16 days during cub hunting. If you get a chance to come, it is a great opportunity for a hunting holiday. Many of the hunts have hirelings available if you plan early enough.
http://www.vahuntweek.org/

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Thank You thats very useful.

I am applying for the Pony Club hunting Exchange to America in october, so it might come to nothing..but you never know . :)

Rollin

Visit site
Thank you for your post. Texascbs posts on this forum. She also hunts and is in Texas.

We had a lovely visit to Virginia and Maryland a few years ago and enjoyed a day at Upperville Horse Show. Did you know there is a Cleveland Bay Hunt every year.

How I wish we could see a field of Cleveland Bays hunting in the UK.

annunziata

Visit site
depends on where you are. I hunted in VA for years LOADS of jumping. They normally run to ground and once they are run them to ground they move on. I have been out for hours and never touched a road it is AMAZING