Hunting with boots?

juliehannah58

Visit site
What are peoples opinions on hunting horses wearing boots??

A good friend of mine who hunts twice a week throughout the season said that boots should not be worn as horses sweat underneath them causing rubbing and overheating to legs. I am looking to hunt my new horse this coming season and although I would prefer to wear boots as it's her first time out (and I would if I were going XC) but don't want to cause any bad effects.

What's your opinion?

druid

Visit site
We've got 16 hirelings, some are booted as nessecary some are not. If you buy good quality boots you shouldn't find they rub - we use NEW air cool ones and custom made neoprene lined leather ones.

My own mare wears leather brushing boots all round - they get replaced at the end of a season. If you could see the scratches lacerations that go right through the leather you'd understand why I use them!

If it's heating up you're worried about look for air cooled boots

Rambo

Visit site
I wouldn't go out without them
shocked.gif
I know East Sussex isn't exactly 'stone wall country', but I don't hack mine out without boots, so certainly wouldn't contemplate what is in effect a non-competitive x-country event without them either
grin.gif

wildpinksalmon

Visit site
I would personally wear boots I hunt with boots and know loads of people that also do, better to be safe than sorry, as druid says there are some excellant air cooler neap boots on the market good luck

juliehannah58

Visit site
That's interesting!

I am the same Rambo, I hack out in knee boots and won't do any proper work without brushing / tendon boots.

My friend (the hunter friend!) hunts a horse for someone quite high up and well respected in the hunt, and they refuse point blank to boot up any of their horses.....After seeing some of the injuries that can happen in the field, I am wondering if anyone else feels so strongly about it.....
confused.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
Thanks Druid, that is interesting.

I have a few sets of N.E.W boots as I find them the best around, but also have some leather ones so I can see what suits best.

I would have worried about going with no boots, especially after seeing some of the injuries that can occur! And I wonder why some very experienced people are so against it....Hmmm!

Thankies anyway, I will go booted and reassured!
smile.gif

druid

Visit site
Make sure you apply cooling gel or hose legs when you get home and you shouldn't need to worry about hot legs. Happy hunting

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
People are so against boots out hunting because generally people use the wrong kind. Neoprene lined boots will cause the leg to overheat and exacerbate any problems the horse may have, if a bit of grit gets up under it can cause a problem.
I hunt racehorses so it is imperative they dont get so much as a tiny scratch out hunting, it could set them back a week in their work. I wear the NEW max performance boots. After a days hunting you take them off and the fur around the bottom edges is wet, but the leg underneath the whole of the boot is clean and dry. I wouldnt use anything else.

Liz_Clark

Visit site
I guess its up to you - you know your horse, and your country I've hunted for a couple of seasons, and my mare never wears any boots. I've not had any problems at all. Having said that, we're ditches and plough - not many jumps!! ( and even then I tend to wuss out & go round!!)

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well, I have ummed and arred about boots on my boy for quite some time. I wouldnt go out without those disgusting plastic knee boots, they arnt some growing fashion trend around here, they are for the walls, and when you look at the dints in mine you will realise why. Usually wear reachers, and sometimes bandage up BUT when I was hunting on ponies I witnessed a bed accident. I horse jumped a wall with low wire at the other side and its boot got caught in the wire. Had it not been wearing boots, it would have got away with a scratch, but with the boots on, it got stuck, brought the horse down, and it had to be PTS. Very sad and made me look at booting in a different light. Now I dont jump wire, but you cant safety check each obsticle out hunting before you jump it, and it is sometimes just...there.

4whitesocks

Visit site
This is one I've been debating - Sid has never been booted and has a bit of an epi when I try to put them on....but plan to hunt him this season so...

we'll see (we're mainly drain and ditch country too - and I also tend to cheat and go round!!!!)

Clodagh

Visit site
This is interesting. I have never booted but new mare has got windgalls all round, so I was wondering if support would help. Some people say yes and some no.
The pointers here (Essex are usually booted, but not many others. Then you get the newbies with their pink everythings, doesn't look as good after the first ploughed field!

Claireg9

Visit site
Thats awful!!!
This is what puts me off of hunting, no one seems to check the safety of the jumps before people start!
Id like to see the organisers do the route on foot first to ensure there are no problems with wire or ground. But i guess that is not always possible. I would go round almost everything as i wouldnt beable to jump it before checking it! Its just the way ive een brought up and TBH i wouldnt want to risk my best friends life for a few jumps!
Boots seems sensible to me though, but like has been said pros and cons for both, enjoy and be safe x

BBs

Visit site
Ive always hunted with boots - I get funny looks from the old school lot - but thankfully more eventing types are coming out and they wear boots too.

I also think Boots have definitely changed over the years, before they were little more than an accessory and would hinder rather than help.
Today you have the like of the NEW maximum performance boots which are fabulous
smile.gif
and I personally wouldnt use anything else. However, there are Prolite, Delmar and alike which are just as good.

Better to be safe than sorry i think
smile.gif

Happy hunting
smile.gif