hunting

ceva

Visit site
Hi, I have been hunting my mare for six years, and I use a red ribbon all the time as she cow kicks a lot, she has never kicked anyone or another horse but I know she would if they get to close. I try to stay at the back but sometimes its impossible to, so i then return to back when i can. i have had confilicting advise while out, the master said stay at the back. the secretary says as long as you are showing a red ribbon it didnt matter where you are.,so i just use my inititive and hope its ok. Good luck and stay save

rema

Visit site
To be honest i dont think it matters where in the field you are as long as you have enough room so can get out of trouble should you get bunched up or somebody comes to close behind you.If anybody has any sense they will not get to close to a horse that is wearing a ribbon.At the end iof the day the ribbon is not there for a fashion statement.Welcome to the forum by the way. :grin:

winterhorse

Visit site
if you wear a red ribbon, you must stay at the back.
secretary isn't in charge on a days hunting, listen to the master.
you may have been lucky up till now, but by your own admission, you say your mare will kick. sorry to say it, but a kicker must be at the back.

JenHunt

Visit site
ditto eagle_day really - one of my friend's horses kicks at her tail when she gets sweaty and muddy (she's a very clean mare and never rolls!) but she doesn't do it if her tail is tied up.
It may just be that your horse doesn;t like a wet, muddy tail.

i would also agree with the others that if the master has said to stay at the back then that's the best thing to do, difficult as it may be at times! ;-)

ceva

Visit site
I agree a 'kicker' must stay at the back, but what can you do when your on a headland, quietly hunting at the back, they all come to a halt, and promptly turn around, my god you are at the front, your not allowed on the drilled field and everyone is behind you, I allow the master to get past then have to wait for a space to get back at the back, luckily my mare will wait while everyone passes, but not all come past quietly, some people insist on charging past, to be honest I think its all down to how obedient your horse is, its more difficult when at the edge of the wood, waiting quietly at the back, then all hell lets loose and everyone including the hunt staff, hounds and the masters gallop past you, how many horses will wait then to go at the back, not many, and i still prefer to see a red ribbon, as i have seen many horses over the years give a good kick, and havent got a ribbon on, unfortunately that happened to a friend and he had to have his ankle pinned and plated from the injury of just one kick.

winterhorse

Visit site
understand what you are saying, but those circumstances don't happen every time.
you originally asked if you wore a ribbon should you stay at the back because you heard conflicting things.
the answer is to stay at the back, but in extreme circumstances when the field has to double back and you end up in front, common sense has to come in. most people will understand that you have nowhere to go and that you will return to the back as soon as you can.