Husbands vs horses

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I keep a variety of pets but a husband isn't one of them. I wouldn't know how often I had to walk it or feed it, and quite frankly I find them a bit noisy and demanding plus I don't know how big a cagevyou need for one..??
If I want something to answer me back and have tantrums I have parrots for that.
I'm quite happy being single lol.

I'm with you SLH, horses and dogs seem to be much easier pets to keep, much less trouble and more rewarding (I haven't met any of the well trained versions of husband spoken about on this thread). I do occasionally think that if I had a husband then I suppose at least I'd be able to have more horses and dogs as I'd have an extra pair of hands to help, then I realise that paying a groom/dog walker is a much simpler solution, and I get to send them home at the end of the day...:p

I would never give up the luxury of living on my own, but I think it's lovely that so many people on this thread are happy with their home/relationship situation (either married or not).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm with you SLH, horses and dogs seem to be much easier pets to keep, much less trouble and more rewarding (I haven't met any of the well trained versions of husband spoken about on this thread). I do occasionally think that if I had a husband then I suppose at least I'd be able to have more horses and dogs as I'd have an extra pair of hands to help, then I realise that paying a groom/dog walker is a much simpler solution, and I get to send them home at the end of the day...:p

I would never give up the luxury of living on my own, but I think it's lovely that so many people on this thread are happy with their home/relationship situation (either married or not).
mine is an enabler... i had 2 horses when we met, and I now have 7 o_O perhaps that's not such a good thing after all!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Gosh I can’t gush enough about OH at the moment. I have really been struggling with morning sickness and he has done all cooking, cleaning, gone out to get whatever weird thing I am craving that day, helped me at the yard, done all dog walks etc. I felt particularly awful when I couldn’t stomach any more than a few mouthfuls of the Christmas lunch he prepared single handed but he was very understanding and Mabel got her greedy little paws on my veg and beef instead so everyone was happy.
He’s also downloaded a pregnancy app and reads daily articles about what is going on in my body and lets me know, it’s very cute. I honestly can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him, my northern grumpy officer.
3F7F6BB6-9277-4C99-BCB3-B40D85959DB8.jpeg

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Gosh I can’t gush enough about OH at the moment. I have really been struggling with morning sickness and he has done all cooking, cleaning, gone out to get whatever weird thing I am craving that day, helped me at the yard, done all dog walks etc. I felt particularly awful when I couldn’t stomach any more than a few mouthfuls of the Christmas lunch he prepared single handed but he was very understanding and Mabel got her greedy little paws on my veg and beef instead so everyone was happy.
He’s also downloaded a pregnancy app and reads daily articles about what is going on in my body and lets me know, it’s very cute. I honestly can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him, my northern grumpy officer.
View attachment 62453

What a gorgeous couple. You look so happy together and his face just says it all, doesn’t it?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mines a total arse- husband not horse, I quite like them!
He’s currently asleep with his hand down his trousers ? I mean just why??!
However, without him I wouldn’t be able to have my horse, I certainly wouldn’t have had the oppertunity to keep my old horses when they retired (if I’d wanted a riding horse) or have my two tiddly companions.
He sorts me free hay and straw. He has just paid my horse box tax and insurance. He will probably come out later to help bring in.
So as much as I could whinge I owe it all to him really. If I chose my horses over him in reality there would be no horses!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
View attachment 62453
Aww ? what a star. Lovely photo

Annagain

Visit site
Mine has sleep apnoea so amongst the snoring we have holding of breath for seriously long periods of time which then makes me panic that he’s going to die on me. That would seriously disturb my sleep.

He doesn’t do anything to help with the horses but we’ve been thinking about buying some land if anything decent comes up locally and he says he’d help then if it meant he could have a tractor:rolleyes:. He’s ok round the house and does his own washing but thinks this makes him a saint even though he never washes towels or bedding. He also has a fit if my car is dirty (he just doesn’t get that there’s no point cleaning it in the winter as it’ll just be full of hay again the next day) but never worries if the house is a tip. Apparently a dirty car is a safety issue but a dirty house isn’t o_O.

I’ve always told him the horses were here a long time before him and will be here a long time after him so he knows his place.

mini_b

Visit site
However, without him I wouldn’t be able to have my horse, I certainly wouldn’t have had the oppertunity to keep my old horses when they retired (if I’d wanted a riding horse) or have my two tiddly companions.
He sorts me free hay and straw. He has just paid my horse box tax and insurance. He will probably come out later to help bring in.
So as much as I could whinge I owe it all to him really. If I chose my horses over him in reality there would be no horses!

❤️

paddy555

Visit site
mine is an enabler... i had 2 horses when we met, and I now have 7 o_O perhaps that's not such a good thing after all!

Mine is an enabler as well and it is not a good thing. We bought our first horse between us so we had to get married as neither would have given the horse up. We must have had around 22 over the years. It took a long while before I learnt a very important lesson which was never show him a picture of a horse for sale, any horse and most definitely not an arab, otherwise all I would hear would be when was it coming.

I went to work one day and when I came home someone had persuaded him to take in another and it was already in the field on 3 legs. :eek:

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Hi All, I'm really just seeing if I can post my first comment on the forum! My OH is great with fencing, driving and fixing the lorry, building sheds and stables, however he is unable to put on a headcollar! His biggest 'fault' is that he's a 'feeder' and will insist on giving my small fat pony more food from his hand than I give her in a bucket. He also moves the electric fence as the 'poor little ponies are starving'. I find the best plan is to keep his busy at all times so he can't start looking for something to interfere with! Shouldn't complain as he also helps with poo picking.

Coblette

Visit site
Haha this thread has really made me laugh... I am firmly in the ‘keep the husband’ camp as although he does sometimes have a little moan about the time taken up by ponies, he does do a lot for me with yard fixing/fencing/gravel gateways/hay barn building which I wouldn’t be able to do without him. He does also make me tea and breakfast in bed occasionally and when I had my c section in September he was solely in charge of the ponies for a month and he actually enjoyed doing it!! He is also the one encouraging me to get a new ponio so I can start doing some cross country. So... I definitely have a keeper :) actually writing this post has made me think I should show him a little more appreciation than I give him credit for

Surbie

Visit site

Mine did that - probably still does tbh. I have never figured out why.

Mine was great in many ways, but also a lazy, snorey arse who lied when we got together 'cos he said he was outdoorsy. He absolutely is not, unless being 'outdoorsy' is defined as quite likes to go for a short walk between May and September. He was very jealous of the time I spent with the horse (was on box rest at the time) or at the allotment. Now we've parted ways I am much happier. Not averse to having another, but I'm not quite sure where to start looking now I'm an old bag.

Very much enjoying the tales of successful training. And LadyG & AA, those photos are adorable.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Mine has sleep apnoea so amongst the snoring we have holding of breath for seriously long periods of time which then makes me panic that he’s going to die on me. That would seriously disturb my sleep.

He doesn’t do anything to help with the horses but we’ve been thinking about buying some land if anything decent comes up locally and he says he’d help then if it meant he could have a tractor:rolleyes:. He’s ok round the house and does his own washing but thinks this makes him a saint even though he never washes towels or bedding. He also has a fit if my car is dirty (he just doesn’t get that there’s no point cleaning it in the winter as it’ll just be full of hay again the next day) but never worries if the house is a tip. Apparently a dirty car is a safety issue but a dirty house isn’t o_O.

I’ve always told him the horses were here a long time before him and will be here a long time after him so he knows his place.

Mine occasionally stops breathing too. In terms of sounds (or lack of sound) to wake you up fast, it is up there with the sound of a cat vomitting ?. Fortunately he snores so reliably on every breath that it is very noticeable when he stops

GreyMane

Visit site
Apnoea scares me too :eek: thankfully it's only occasional nights as the longest pauses can be about 30 seconds.

Boots wax earplugs are good for reducing normal snoring noise to a sleep-able level. Much more comfy than foam ones.

I do pull on the duvet slightly if it's apnoea so he'll breathe in, but can't poke or ask him to stop snoring, as he will then immediately wake, get an adrenalin/work stress rush and have to go downstairs to watch tv to calm down. I then get woken later by his return and I get a(nother) hot flush !:rolleyes: Teamwork.

Lyle

Visit site
Although I love having time to veg out on the couch, making naughty snacks when the OH is off on a road trip, I really couldn't live without him. My OH has a horsey background from his youth.

He does everything with a level of drive that I don't really have. He's the big picture thinker, the future planner and the directionist. The only forethought I put into anything is what I'm going to eat next.
He will sit and talk horses with me on a long winter evening with a bottle of red, or a beer on a hot summers day. He drives the tractor, tops the paddocks, plans the fencing, shifts the hay. Now he's taken on the roll of cheif horse-breaker. He tells me that I CAN do it, and that I HAVE to do it, there is no such thing as taking the easy road when he's around.

Yes, he tells me how to do things (and has the audacity to also be right about it) but I will usually (albeit grudgingly at times) come around!

Our life changed two years ago, and has taken a path I'd only ever dreamed about, and I have him to thank for opening up the opportunity.

Cherryblossom

Visit site
After initially saying he wanted to help with the horses when we got them home, we had a slight ‘incident’ which involved me be called out of the house by a panicked husband holding our daughter and telling me that the pony had bolted. The small fat pony who was grazing beside him having reversed out of his too loose bridle.

So our new compromise is that I do all the horse stuff and he does all the tidying and cleaning in the evenings. I’m calling that a win!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Keira I’m living the life you describe and have always been single

It is very peaceful but the sense of responsibility can be overwhelming at times - knowing I’m completely alone in the world and there’s nobody to call for help...if I stop and think about that too much I do get scared....

I do wish my life was different but there’s nothing I can do about it but press on, you can’t control who comes into your life and who doesn’t ??‍♀️

caileag

Visit site
My OH is great around the house, it's almost a reversal of the traditional roles which suits me fine as I hate housework but am good at all the tech and DIY stuff , which he's not. He encourages me in all my horse ambitions and doesn't resent the time I spend at the yard. He's still a little nervous around horses (and dogs) but getting better. I wouldn't trust him to do any hands on stuff with my mare as he just doesn't have the quick safety awareness that you need around horses and would definitely make a hash of putting on rugs etc. He has helped me getting my new mare out on hacks acting as 'lead horse' and gate opener. Unfortunately he is a 'noisy sleeper ' but I find a gentle to firm poking finger on the ribs will make him turn over without him realising he's been manipulated ?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
As brilliant as my husband is with the yard he has always said he isn't fond of the horses, he likes them but that is it, even though I often hear him talking to them as if there were people.

We needed an emergency vet yesterday afternoon for the one he calls 'his baby girl'. He didn't say much until very late at night and after we had gone back to see if she was ok. I tasked him with holding the bucket of antibiotics and pain relief under her nose to ensure every morsel was consumed. For someone supposedly not fond of the horses what he was saying to the horse suggested a very different view.