Hypothetical "how much is he worth" please

MyBoyChe

Visit site
What would you expect to pay, in the current market for 16 year old highland gelding, 14.2 and a big solid lad, sound as a pound, no health issues, really easy to do, loads, travels, hacks alone. Hes a diamond to hack out, pretty much idiot proof. Wouldnt be more than a happy hacker atm but can and has popped round a working hunter course in the past. Ideas of how to value a pony like this?

chaps89

Visit site
My mum is looking for similar (so if he is for sale please do PM me!) and is struggling with a £5k budget which would have been more than enough 18 months ago so I’d agree with the posters above around that mark as he is a touch older

WispyBegs

Visit site
He sounds lovely… and sounds to be the type most people are struggling to find at the moment - myself included!

I would perhaps say around £5000, but I believe in the current market you could get a lot more as there is a real shortage of safe hacking horses.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thanks all, Im gobsmacked at those prices! He is mine and I just cant decide what to do for the best. Im getting older and dont seem to want to ride any more, havent ridden since last November and still not feeling tempted. I have my grand daughters pony, another smaller native I bought to play on the ground with and the big lad. I love looking after them all, I love showing my gd the ropes and Ive had 8 years of fun with Mr Hipo so dont mind at all that he is a glorified paddock trimmer atm...but...I do wonder if hes a bit fed up as he used to love pootling about at weekends. He is the sort you can ride once in a blue moon and he doesnt behave any different, he will always be too big for my gd, hes built like a tank and will put his head down to eat in a flash if you cant stop him, she is not built like a tank and would never be able to stop him :) She will always be better suited to a lighter framed pony. Is 16 too early to let him just kick back, hes never been worked hard so its not a massive change for him tbh, my biggest issue is he cant/wont live out 24/7 through the winter as our ground is just too wet and he sulks if the weather is bad, hes completely forgotten his roots and prefers life as a pampered southerner :) Decisions :(

JJS

Visit site
No, 16 is not too early to let him just kick back and retire. If you like having him around and he’s happy, don’t feel like you need to sell him. Horses doesn’t worry about “being wasted” in the same way we do! And, if you want him to get more exercise, you could always get a sharer to ride him and contribute something toward his costs :)

chaps89

Visit site
Ah if he’s been out of work for a while that might impact price/interest unless you were happy to lwvtb.
That said if he seems happy and you enjoy having him about the place there’s no harm in him staying put.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
The fact he hasn't been ridden for 9 months could knock a significant bit off the asking price IMO, as it means he is being sold from the field. I know in this case it isn't an indicator of some sort of problem (i.e rested up after injury, he is a problem to ride for you etc.). But buyers will question that and probably not be quite so happy to part with 5,000 or more, when there are plenty still out there doing regular work.

If you don't need the money and are happy to let him do his own thing then I would just keep him as a beautiful pasture ornament, or perhaps get an occasional rider for him if you feel he needs it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he sounds ideal for someone like me, an old bird that wants a safe hack who doesnt need riding daily to keep sane, if you like having him around but feel he needs to do something maybe a sharer would be a good idea. pity you arent closer to me, i would love something to ride 3 or 4 times a week and would be happy to pay but cant physically do heavy jobs, can do grooming and feeding but not mucking out or poo picking..maybe put up a notice in local feed merchants or riding club..

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thanks all. A sharer isnt an option sadly, our hacking immediately off the yard is too dangerous, I have my own lorry but a sharer will need to hack from base, I simply couldnt let anyone risk that and he hates schooling! When I bought the little one the plan was to sell him but when it came to it, I bottled it. Hes happy as a happy thing just keeping the fields bare enough for the 2 smaller ponies, every so often I just doubt my sanity in keeping 3!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if he makes you happy and you can afford to keep 3, hang on to him.....if not try and make yourself ride him 2 or 3 times a week so he is not being sold from the field and advertise him on horsequest as they have sections for family horse or happy hackers with decent photos and i would think about £6,000 in this market or £4000 if from the field, or let your vet and farrier know he is up for sale and ask them if they know of anyone suitable

Last edited: