I’m worried I’ve lost interest ?

First pony G

Visit site
Hi I hope someone can help… my pony was Pts December last year I had her 8 years. We had been through so much together and I was finally able to trust her and do so much together. My daughter has a pony similar age she was not very safe to ride and I spent 1500 getting her re schooled. We were in a horrible yard and have moved twice in the past few months and now settled. My 13 year old dog was pts 5 weeks ago. I just feel like I have completely lost interest in putting the effort in altogether. I feeling it has to be the one I lost it nothing at all ? My daughter has mental health issues and been quite ill so just does the very basics. I feel like I have wasted my money getting her safe for me to do all I did before with my last pony. I feel so sad I don't have the enthusiasm to do anything with her. Do you think I should give up trying or has anyone experienced a similar situation themselves? X

Wishfilly

Visit site
It sounds like you have been through a lot recently, so I would try to give yourself some time. As long as the pony is safe and cared for, don't put any pressure on yourself.

The money spent on schooling is gone, so I would not worry about that.

Just take the pressure off and do whatever you fancy doing- if that is just grooming, or basic care, then do that. If you feel the desire to do more, then do that. You may find the interest comes back given time, but I wouldn't make any decisions right now.

EllenJay

Visit site
I am so sorry for your losses. No wonder you are feeling a lack of enthusiasm. I agree with Wishfilly - don't make any major decisions now - you are not in the right place. The pony doesn't really care if it's ridden or not so just take your time.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I agree with Wishfilly, sounds like you have been through a lot. Don't put pressure on yourself and don't make any big decisions. You may want to consider finding a skilled sharer or loan for your pony to keep her going and help reduce costs (or, keep her in training if you can afford it). That way if you decide to come back to riding regularly, she'll be ready. Otherwise, I'm sure she's happy to have a long holiday in the field!

southerncomfort

Visit site
For what it's worth it took me 18 months to even begin to look at sale ads after I lost my old horse.

I had my daughter's pony to look after but a lot of the time I just felt like I was going through the motions and had no energy or enthusiasm for it. I realise now that I was probably suffering from depression.

Just as I'd decided to give up horses completely, I came across an ad for a young Fell pony. Viewed him the next day and brought him home a couple of days later.

He is the best thing that could have possibly happened to me. I absolutely adore him and we have a blast together He just makes my heart sing with happiness. ?

Don't discount that you might still be grieving for your old pony and/or suffering from depression. That combined with the care of your daughter and her pony might just be a bit too much at the moment. Is it possible to pay the yard to do some of the care for a while to give you a bit of breathing space?

It sounds like you and your daughter are doing all the hard work but not getting any of the fun aspects of horse ownership.

JackFrost

Visit site
Sorry you have had to go through so many sad things recently. I don't think money spent on making a horse safe is ever a waste . You have set the pony up well for the future, whoever may own or ride it, now and in years to come.
If you and your daughter are not really enjoying the pony, it might be worth thinking of selling/loaning or looking for something else, though I don't see anything wrong with 'just doing the basics' for a while.